Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 wild boar has to go/yuuuuuukkkk >

wild boar has to go/yuuuuuukkkk

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

wild boar has to go/yuuuuuukkkk

Old 10-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: wild boar has to go/yuuuuuukkkk

Cut into the inside of a back leg into the meat. Rub your fingers around in the meat. If your fingers smell gamey, the meat will taste gamey and you might as well throw the hog away. If your fingers don't have a gamey smell, it's not in the meat and the hog should be fine to eat.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

good advice North Texan......we had one that was 187 lbs come out the other night, it was rank, my Lord, that thing was the nastiest thing i have smelled......not to be rude but it had , lets say left over all over his thingy from a sexual encounter, OMG, i think it was that icky stuff that made it smell like it did, but i know if i have one that smells like that, i'm walking away, i have literally smelled that smell for 3 days[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(] ....i know it's all in my mind, but it was gross, soooooooooooooooooo gross........maybe i just never smelled a real rank boar hog, but i just dont rememeber any hog stinking like this one did....[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]
Old 10-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Dominant Buck

True, NT, but no need to throw it out. You can either cure the meat, or put it in a cooler full of ice and water, pour off the water everyday and replace it with ice and water. It will flush out all the blood and the gamey taste as well. It only takes a few days, no more than five at best.

Ma

I cant help ya with that
Old 10-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Dominant Buck

This is the cure for the wild strong gamey taste! It has to be Sour Orange Base. Marinade over night or keep basting on pit while roasting.

We use Badia, Goya orLa LechoneraCuban Marinade. Fill up a big pot and every 15mins keepbrushing on with a 4" brush.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

True, NT, but no need to throw it out. You can either cure the meat, or put it in a cooler full of ice and water, pour off the water everyday and replace it with ice and water. It will flush out all the blood and the gamey taste as well. It only takes a few days, no more than five at best.
Or go back out and kill another hog. In five days, I could pull in a pretty good sample size.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:21 AM

thanks for all the info i have learned a bit about boar maybe next time i will get a better taste thanks again
Old 10-25-2006, 07:19 AM

All boar meat is edible. Try to get one that weighs less than150 pounds on the hoof. You have to be innovative with the big male boars. Marinate the chops and other meat in something nice for a couple of days before cooking.

A rutting buck deer can smell pretty bad. Antelopebucks can be really nasty smelling.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:39 PM

I eat them all. I've had huge ones taste just as good as smaller ones. Like eveyone says, it's how you prepare it and how longyou hang it.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:24 PM

I try to stick to the ones under 100 pounds. Then I slow-roast the quarters in a Reynolds roasting bag, with some seasoning and a can of beer. Tastes great; my wife has even requested more of it, and she doesn't care for wild game.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Ma

I cant help ya with that

Good advice. I do that will all game, except for foul. I add four of five potatoes quartered and replace each day when I change water and ice.. It will work.

Quick Reply: wild boar has to go/yuuuuuukkkk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.