Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hogs killing deer

Old 09-05-2006, 05:38 PM

Default Hogs killing deer

I've heard of hogs killing small deer before, especially fawns they come across. Today I saw a full deer skeleton laying inches next to a giant wallow.Not small enough to be a fawns skeleton either. 20 yds away were 2 more wallows with leg bones from the deer in them. This is one bad group right here. I thought they might have scavenged it, but it seemed odd that the whole skeleton was right next to the wallow. I plan to take pics next week when I go back in. Didn't have my camera on me. Anybody come across anything like this before. I'm thinking she might have startled him in the wallow and he jumped up and got her, but I know thats a long shot. Real odd though. Give me your thoughts cause I've seen a lotwhen it comes to pigs, but this took the cake. Looked like the"lair" in Ghost and Darkness.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:57 PM

Default RE: Hogs killing deer

I think it's much more likely that the deer simply died right there and was scavenged. There's also the possibility that the deer was weak and dieing and the pig took the opportunity to finish her off. I find it highly unlikely that the pig actually killed a healthy deer. And if it did somehow spook a pig in a wallow and the pig swiped at it, a bad cut still would have allowed the deer to run a long distance before dieing. Therefore, probably a coincidence that it was dead next to a wallow.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most likely the deer died from a disease or starvation and just happened to collapse there. It's not uncommon for ailing animals to seek out certain land features like wallows or ponds or streams. Also, there are other predators that could have killed a deer.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Ive never heard of them killing deer. But there is a lot i have not heard of. Not sure.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Mature Russian Boar will kill sheep, goats and baby calves. It is possible that they kill fawn deer also. However, it isn't likely that they killed mature deer, possible I suppose, but not likely.
They are true omnivores and will eat anything, including each other under the right circumstances.
My guess is that the deer died nearby and was eaten by the hogs as basically a free meal. The wallow could be near a bedding area where natural die-off of deer could occur or the deer could have been injured.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:29 AM

Yeah, I know they kill fawns, so I found it a bit odd with this bigger skeleton . It's true, if the deer had been swiped at by the pig, she would have made it a little ways. I think this deer died off or was finished off and they dragged it to the wallows like all have said. I'll take pics anyway next week and post them. Thanks for all the insight.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow... wild if its true..natural ...if its false
Old 09-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

I think they do kill fawns..deer do not like hogs very much thats for sure well down here in texas they dont!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:50 PM

IF a group of hogs did have lunch on ANYTHING, I'm surprised they left any scraps behind. I know on my lease, we have a "gut dump" where we dump the carcasses of deer, hogs, etc., and a lot of times we'll go by there and look around. Once the season starts and fresh carcasses start showing up, the hogs come on a regular basis and literally wipe-out every single scrap! I mean hide, bones, guts, EVERYTHING! In my opinion, I think that if the carcass has a chance to rot, the hogs leave it alone and let the buzzrads pick at it. BUT, if they find a fresh one, it chow time! One time I remember dumping a hog carcass one mornning and went back 4 hours later to dump another, and the first one was gone. I could not find ANY evidence or strips of hide from the first one. JMO
Old 09-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Fork Horn

Thats crazy!!

Quick Reply: Hogs killing deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.