Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

groundblinds

Old 08-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: groundblinds

Have never used a commercial groundblind like the brickhouse, but am considering it this yr as a quick 2nd or 3rd hunting site. My question for you guys that have used one, is how does shooting a gun through the mesh effect it? How bad does it tear it up, and how long/many shots can you do this before you have to replace it? And if you think it would be better to open the mesh window, how noisy is it to do? They seem like they would be good, except for the last comment about the heat in them. The first half of last yrs gun season here in Texas was sweating hot just in a tree stand. Thanks guys.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:40 AM

ty dh,

yea my youngin is already wondering about our trips we were planning to coyote creek. let me know what we can do about just her hunting with a guide. you can call me at 903-537-2458 or at work 866-534-0888 i should return to work monday.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: St.Barnard

Have never used a commercial groundblind like the brickhouse, but am considering it this yr as a quick 2nd or 3rd hunting site. My question for you guys that have used one, is how does shooting a gun through the mesh effect it? How bad does it tear it up, and how long/many shots can you do this before you have to replace it? And if you think it would be better to open the mesh window, how noisy is it to do? They seem like they would be good, except for the last comment about the heat in them. The first half of last yrs gun season here in Texas was sweating hot just in a tree stand. Thanks guys.

St.B
I own the Brickhouse. The manual says that you should not shoot a gun through the mesh. It does not say why but I asume it is due to the possibility of it catching fire.
When gun hunting I take the mesh off before going out to the woods. When bowhunting I leave it on. If you decide to take it off during the hunt it is pretty noisy because it is fastened by velcro.
I have hunted in it in KY when it was above 80 degrees. With all the windows open or meshed in it was not too bad. I did however set up in the shade.
What would be hot though is what Bobgobblehad described. There is a clear plastic membrane that you can also install for total scent control. That would be hot since there is no air flow through the blind.
Overall I love hunting out of it. It is comfortable, you can move around inside when needed. It keeps the weather off of you and it is great for bringing out kids
Old 08-10-2006, 11:14 AM

danny,

thanks for the info, where did you purchase yours and do you mind if i ask what the price range for theses r

Old 08-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wjrich63

danny,

thanks for the info, where did you purchase yours and do you mind if i ask what the price range for theses r

I purchased it at Walmart 2 years ago for $129. I have owned a few now and I really like the hub style (brickhouse)the best. They are more stable in the wind and it has been great in the snow and rain. The downside is that they are slightly heavier. I think the Brickhouse is like 14-15 lbs
I have hunted out of it for 2 years now and I usually bring my daughter and 2 camp style chairs and there is plenty of room for both of us while gun hunting.
The key to most blinds with deer (i don't know how it is with hogs) is to cover it in. The Brickhouse has many loops to attach natural vegitation to it so you can conceal the blind.
Like i said the shoot throughscreens are noisy when taking them down or putting them up. When using it on a one day bow huntwhere i will be taking it in andout with me I usually put up all the screens before i go out. If it is a gun hunt i take all the screens off before going out. Then I always leave the windows behind me closed so I am not showing a silhouette to the deer.
The blind goes up and down quickly. realistically it takes me about 1 minute to put it up and the same to take it down.

One other bad thing. My daughter usually gets so comfortable she falls asleep. Missed a deer on youth day last year because i couldnt wake her

Old 08-11-2006, 12:14 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: wjrich63

i have heard of the mesh u shoot through,but have not tried it. where in texas do you hunt im in northeast. i go to a hog and deer ranch here

i hunt in west texas about 20 miles -30 miles from sabinal in uvalde county
Old 08-11-2006, 12:20 AM

ORIGINAL: wjrich63

danny,

there selling one over here in san antonio at sportsmanswarehouse for about 125 i really love the way they look.

and oh yeah no matter what kind of blind your gonna be in ur gonna sweat in texas but ill tell u one thing they are much better than double bull blinds when it comes to texas heat
Old 08-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Dominant Buck

IF its for hogs, dont bother. Make a simple ground blind from limbs and brush you find. Hogs sight is not very good. Ive taken many by simply setting in tall grass. Just do as you do with a deer, watch their head and when they are not looking, draw your bow or pull up your rifle. Most of the time I stalk them. Its great practice for deer.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Burnie,although I agree with you a hogs eyesite isn't what a deer has its foolin his nose is WHY I hunt out of a stationary scentiteblind.I guide at a minimum of 40 hogs a year to there demise and one thing is for sure around these parts get downwind or hunt out of a good scentite blind or you make scentwise hogs wiser!!!
Old 08-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Bob
I see. That would do the trick. I only set up with the wind in my face. Other than that, i still hunt. That is why I dont worry about buying a ground blind. But you are right, they have increadible noses. I was simply addressing the visual aspect to it.