Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle >

Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle

Old 07-31-2006, 01:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle

ORIGINAL: ACutting

1000 FPS Air rifle with ballistic point pellets is more then efficient for killing larger game. I've taken plenty of coyotes and coy dogs with them in Indiana. Its all about shot placement. I take raccoons all the time with them. I'm a Wildlife Control Technician and I use an RWS Diana Model 36 to shoot raccoons in attics. Thats the same gun that I hunt coyotes and coy dogs with. I don't know how tough hogs are compared to domestic pigs but I know the pigs I've bought I could have easily killed with my pellet rifle.
A Gamo/.177 is capable ofkilling a hog like this one? Come on man, do you really believe that?

Old 07-31-2006, 01:41 PM

Ok....I am not sure about the .117 cal deal at all. Someone on this site tell methat the following hog can be brought down by an "air rifle"?? Someone is going to see this and get hurt.

good luck

Old 07-31-2006, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Damon, what was it killed with?
Old 07-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

The video I posted was just a teaser for the show that will be aired on August 12th. In no way am I suggesting going out with a pellet gun and shoot a hogzilla in the eye, but it's kind of interesting to watch others do it.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:31 PM

The hog in my above post was killed with a 7mm super short mag. And he ran a long waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy zzzzzz before succumbing to the round.

good luck

Old 07-31-2006, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Given the range he was shooting at the hog in the video I'm 100% confident I could take a hog down with my pellet rifle. It would have to be a direct shot into the eye from with in 20 yards. Its all about shot placement. Any other shot from what I'm seeing would be just pissing him off. But definately can be done if done properly
Old 07-31-2006, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw the episode. I think the guy was from Ohio. I didn't catch the make of the rifle he was shooting except that it was a proto-type (built by who ???) It shot a 50cal slug at 700+ fps. He wasn't shooting real far at the hogs, but he stoned one in its tracks at about 40-50yds with a head shot.

He filled the air chamber from a SCUBA tank, and from the size of it, I figure he only got one shot per filling.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

August 12th (Saturday)at 8:30 am EST on OLN TV the episode in question is going to be televised. You can watch the teaser episode here http://www.stevescott.tv/node/95"You call this an Airgun".

--diamondaranch, you should post that picture at http://www.stevescott.tv/node/68for a chance to win the monthly contest.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

I have ear-holed pigs with a 22 rifle, and some air rifles aproach the same velocities as a 22, so I guess it's possible, but ya gotta be crazy to try that! We had a guy from Alaska this week that killed a 120 pounder at point blank range. He was sitting in the bottom of a dried up creek when about 10 or 12 hogs came down the creek toward him and did not see him, he fired on the leed hog at 3-feet and pushed him to the side with his gun barrel as the hog fell dead. Would have loved to had that on video. He said it was pretty scary, he had no where to go, so just hung tight and fired. The rest of the hogs split on both sides of him and kept running.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:13 PM

On the Men's Channel a show called Guns and Gears with Johnny Rowland. One episode in January I think they went to a fellers house in LA above Baton Rouge I think. He had an air rifle that shot a .45 cal, bullet. he filled the tank under it up from an air compressor. He said he could get 4-6 shots per filling.I believe he claimed that it shot over 1200 fps. At 100 yds. he had a sub 4" group. with 4 shots. They are supposed to be on the market sometime maybe this year or the beginning of next. All I know is that watermelon he had in a tree at 100 yds. did'nt have a chance.
My Crosman pumped up 15 times will make a stray dog holler at 30

Quick Reply: Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.