Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle >

Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle

Old 08-11-2006, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle

This show is going to be aired tomorrow morning (Saturday)on OLN TV @ 8:30 EST. Now we can see for ourselves what happens when you take an airgun hunting.

http://www.stevescott.tv
Old 08-11-2006, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Bet he shoots it in the eye
Old 08-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Interesting. I can understand wanting to do things the hard way, but an air gun. That thing better be hooked up to a major air compresser to penetrate that skin. I like to still hunt the porkers with my recurves, but a bb gun, thats something I have to see to believe.

Ive been interested in getting into atlatl's. When I do, Ill try them out on the porkers, but a bb gun, innot sure. Notout of fear for myself, ive spent my whole life with these wild porkers, but id be concerned about wonding one with a non lethal shot. I mean, ive seen 22 mags do nothing to these guys, i cant imagine a bb gun packing any more of a punch than that.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

Its all about shot placement. You can't kill a mouse with a pellet rifle if you don't hit it right.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Of course. You are right. My onlyconcern is penetration. Got to get the projectile in before placement has any significants.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

--burniegoeasily
tomorrow morning at 8:30 you can see it for yourself.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

getting the projectile in isn't a problem out of the new air rifles on the market. Hardened lead pellets moving at super sonic speed. When I first got mine i was using an old junk nomad at my friends farm as back stop this pellet rifle was shooting through both sides of the car. They have the power to kill things. They just don't have the impact(shock) power that rifles have. These are surgical tools in the world of hunting 1/4" off and you messed up big time. I've done this a few times on raccoons in attics. You have a "sweet spot" about the size of a dime on their forhead if you hit it in that spot they go down you miss it you've irritated the raccoon and its either gotten away or its coming after you not a fun time with no quick second shot.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Im going to have to catch it. Ill set the DVR. I have to admit, I did not know such air rifles exist. I am truly ignorant to them. My idea of an air gun is the old pump that could bearly penetrate a fence. This is going to be interesting.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I saw it. Makes more since now. Not what I was expecting. Even though they were both clean kills, I would not promot this type of hunting. Too much room for error. And we all know there are many people who will not practice enough to insure clean kills like the professor had. Also, most people do not have wild hogs as tam as the ones he was shooting. On my land, if the hogs get wind of a person, they are gone, even with dogs. If you dont have catch dogs, your not going to get close to one with simple bayers.

Actually, I was more impressed with the prairy dog shots. That was pretty cool.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

I finally got to watch the show off of my DVR last night. The prarie dog shooting was pretty impressive. I have never seen a GAMO in action until last night and I was impressed. I might be going to get myself one this weekend.

While discussing this I was always thinking an eye shot, but by the looks of it the shot placement was between the eyes or in the temple region. I was not expecting that pig to drop as quick as it did.

The show is going to air again this Friday at 8:30 am EST if anyone wants to check it out.

Quick Reply: Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.