Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle >

Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle

Old 07-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle

I am going over to the video editor after work to get the video teaser of hog hunt and air gun. I will post again once I get it up on his site for viewing. Hopefully then all of our questions will be answered.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

I am pretty sure it was aired on saturday morning. It was on Outdoor Channel at the end of the regular show. Sorry, I watch way too many hunting shows to keep track.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:35 PM

the guy i'm talking about was on keith warrens show i think last sunday and keith referred to him as a guy from that shows forum.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

I just uploadedthe TV show teaser up on Steve's site. You can viewit under "Outdoor Guide>Schedule" on www.stevescott.tv or you can go straight to the page using this link: http://www.stevescott.tv/node/95

Enjoy!!!

Old 07-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Ahhhhhhhh, I have Verizon Fios, "Not Available"[:@]
Old 07-28-2006, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

the website doesn't work for you Rebel Hog? Can you view any of the site? http://www.stevescott.tv

Old 07-30-2006, 10:54 AM

While I am skeptical of this entire notion...I am still curious. Now with that said, we kill a dozen or so hogs here per week. Most (with some type of .30 caliber rifle or larger.....some with bow) drop in their tracks with proper shot placement.

However, I have shot hogs with a .308 and had them run for a half mile before bleeding enough to slow them down. I have also seen LARGE feral hogs stop a .308 in their shoulder. That is damned near like an armor plate.

Still curious, but I would consider engaging a hog with any type of "air rifle" to be unethical. UNLESS THE SHOW PROVES TO ME OTHERWISE LOL .

good luck

Old 07-31-2006, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

I have also seen LARGE feral hogs stop a .308 in their shoulder. That is damned near like an armor plate.
During a muzzeloader hunt I hit a hog in the shoulder (.50 caliber) and he turned circles for about an 10 minutes before running off into the grass. It was dark so I came back in the morning with my pistol and could never find him. I will agree about the armor plate.

On the video I uploaded to his site, it appears he shot the hog in the eye and it scrambled up his brain. The clip then shows Steve and the guide dragging the hog out from where he shot it, so it must not have run but died right there?

Video of hog being shot in eye (You Call This an Airgun)
http://www.stevescott.tv/node/95

Enjoy!!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:17 AM

Interesting video you linked to above. Maybe...maybe not. No impact shot, no walkup/recovery? It goes from the shot....to dragging him out of the woods.

Now I have to wonder, how many people out there are going to get hurt after seeing this and figuring they can do the same. Shooting a hog in the eye with a "gamo air-rifle", on the ground, in their immediate vicinity is dangerous at best. Just my opinion though.

good luck

Old 07-31-2006, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

1000 FPS Air rifle with ballistic point pellets is more then efficient for killing larger game. I've taken plenty of coyotes and coy dogs with them in Indiana. Its all about shot placement. I take raccoons all the time with them. I'm a Wildlife Control Technician and I use an RWS Diana Model 36 to shoot raccoons in attics. Thats the same gun that I hunt coyotes and coy dogs with. I don't know how tough hogs are compared to domestic pigs but I know the pigs I've bought I could have easily killed with my pellet rifle.

Quick Reply: Feral Hog Hunting with an Air Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.