Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

pregnant sows

Old 07-05-2006, 03:38 AM

Default pregnant sows

Quick ??
Is there any way to tell a sow is pregnant from hunting distances , 15 , 25 yards . I just got acess to hog land and dont want to shoot pregnant sows. Thanks for any idea's.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: pregnant sows

look at her titties........if you can see them hanging and she's swollen around the belly, you might be able to tell........my one sow i got, i had no idea she was pregnant, almost full term too, if i had known , i would not of shot her, but you couldnot tell......and it's not like i didnt see her, she was 17 yds away.....
Old 07-06-2006, 02:36 AM

thanks huntnma
Old 07-06-2006, 06:54 AM

as ma said ; really no way to tell sometimes.if they are ready to drop sometimes you can see the teets and belly.I have taken several that was about 1/2 and you could not tell till you gut her.
I have caught some in my traps and had to look close to tell they were with pigs.some times the teets want show anything till the day they drop,then they will drop the milk and the teets will fill up and show big.
the best way to tell , if you can get a close look at the rear end to see if it's swollen real big,then there not many days off.

I don't like to shoot one that is ready to drop, but it makes for a good eating hog (really fat).
the old time farmers would breed the gilts a few weeks befor time ti kill, that would make them fatten up for killing time.doesn't hurt the meat any at all.

just have to do the best we can.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntnma

look at her titties........if you can see them hanging and she's swollen around the belly, you might be able to tell........my one sow i got, i had no idea she was pregnant, almost full term too, if i had known , i would not of shot her, but you couldnot tell......and it's not like i didnt see her, she was 17 yds away.....
Pervert.