Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A Trio of Sows

Old 04-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default A Trio of Sows

i have not posted any hog photos lately. Went hog hunting this evening witha good friend. We parked and he walked to a nearby stand. i took both my Mathieu .300 Winchester Magnum and my CVAMag Hunter.Had to walk about 400yards through a wheat pasture to my stand.

Started seeing a lot of hog sign and called my friend on the cell phone. He said: "There's is a big hog to your east." Laid my .300 Win Mag on the ground. Sat down on the ground, assumed a good sitting position with the muzzleloader and put a 300 grain .430 XTP through both shoulders of a sow that weighed about 180 pounds on the hoof. (This is the hog on the left of the photo.) She bang flopped.

Gun:CVA .50 Magnum Hunter
Scope:Redfield Widefield 4X
Bullet: 300 grain .430 XTP
Powder: 140 grains of Goex Pinnacle 2F
Primer: Winchester shotgun
Distance:About 140-160 yards

Got to my stand, leaned the empty muzzleloader against a tree and took my .300 Magnum into the stand. About sunset7 sows came into the small spring.Two of them were lined up nicely at about 50 yards away and i popped them both with one round from my centerfire gun. The blacksow died instantly. The red one squealed for several seconds, jumped up and took off. My second shot at that running hog dropped her at about150 yards from my stand.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: A Trio of Sows

Nice shooting. I love to hunt hogs myself. Did the XTP exit the other side? How did it hold together?
Old 04-04-2009, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SHulion

Nice shooting. I love to hunt hogs myself. Did the XTP exit the other side? How did it hold together?

x's 2 Did you get the bullet back entry exit hole? Also that is one darn good shot that far on the run.Congrats i gotta try that one day.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do i understand correctly, the .430 xtp penetrated through both shoulder at some 150 yd? If not, and the bullet is still in the hog, i hope you find it and show us a picture of the xtp. Really, really want to see what the bullet looks like after going through 2 shoulder. Hope you find it, maybe just under the hide.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Did the XTP exit the other side? How did it hold together?

It went all the way throughleaving an exit hole over 1". The bullet did not fragment: There was no sign of fragments hitting the inside of the hog on the exit side.

This is probably the first animal i have ever killed with the300 grain .430 XTP. Have killed a lot of deer and hogswith the 250 grain SST/Shockwave and the 240 grain .430 XTP. That gun was taken along because it had been loaded for 2-4 weeks and i needed to get it unloaded.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmm, now it will be near unbearable for me to wait till hunting season to try the bullet on doe.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

MMMMM pork chops - way to go. Aint never shot a hog or had wild hog meat but I sure would like to try both.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:55 AM
Dominant Buck

You are shooting one of my favorite bullets. Now I am guessing this is a XTP and not an XTP magnum. That 120 grains of Pinnacle would be a good load. And it must have some power to penetrate both shoulders of a nice hog.

Congratulations on the hog hunting. That sure looks like a great time.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like you had a good evening. You'll be eatin' good for sure. I may have to look in to that .430 300g XTP. I've always shot the .452 version but you and cayugad speak highly of them.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some friends had been hunting with that gun and i reloaded it a couple of weeks ago. Itwas sighted in for the 300 grain .452 XTP Magnum as my backup gun for elk hunting last fall. The folks who borrowed the gun shot up all ofmy .452 Magnum bullets killing hogs and i reloaded it with the 300 grain .430 XTP bullet.

The powder load was 140 grains of Pinnacle 2F. Yep, that is overkill, but it shoots sogoodi will leave it that way.

Quick Reply: A Trio of Sows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.