Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

sour mash/bait/lures.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: sour mash/bait/lures.

One of the best methoids Ive ever used is simply corn and strawberry Jello. I dig a hole in the ground, with post hole diggers, as deep as possible. Fill it halfway with corn. Pour a pack of dry strawberry jello on it, then top off the hole with corn. I also like to mix a second pack of jello in the top of the corn. I put out a few holes in spots that have wallows, rubs, etc.. Depending on the ground conditions, the hogs will root at the holes for a weeks.

Corn is always a winner, no matter what you do with it.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:19 PM

this is gonna seem like a dumb newbee question but when you dig the Holes to bait the hogs, you put the corn an whatever else, do you put dirt back on top of the bait or do you leave the hole open?
Old 08-12-2006, 12:24 PM

Ive always left them open. The smell travels better.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: phall2

That is exactly what I do, and why I do it. But if you put them out where they have already been routting, they will find it. They have great noses, but leaving it open will make it even easier to find. Besides, if you dig it as deepas you can, it will take them days to dig up completelty. I have had wholes hold corn up till a month. But that was when it was real dry, and in west Texas our ground is all clay, so when its dry, a bulldozer cant hardly cut it.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:54 AM

Open eh? Makes sense....
Old 08-22-2006, 12:01 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

ORIGINAL: phall2

That is exactly what I do, and why I do it. But if you put them out where they have already been routting, they will find it. They have great noses, but leaving it open will make it even easier to find. Besides, if you dig it as deepas you can, it will take them days to dig up completelty. I have had wholes hold corn up till a month. But that was when it was real dry, and in west Texas our ground is all clay, so when its dry, a bulldozer cant hardly cut it.
Same here!
Old 08-22-2006, 01:11 PM

i've been takeing a 50gal drum pouring in 50 lbs of corn and all the apples or crab apples i can get ahold of. then adding water and sugar. letting it set for a few days in down next to the barn in the sun mixing it once or twice to mix it all up good then when i've had enough of it sittin there i'll take it and put it out 5 gal at a time in different places adding a little off road diesel to each 5 gal bucket. just remember it don't take much fuel though that is mainly to keep everything else away from it, but the hogs will not only eat there they'l wallow around once they've ate the bait. i also soak rags in the diesel and tie them to trees or sometimes i'll soak ropes in the fuel and wrap them around trees to make good rub trees
Old 08-23-2006, 09:42 AM

Default RE: sour mash/bait/lures./JoeA

go to a local resturant and get their bacon grease, usually they'll fall over backwards to get rid of the stuff. Many times you can get old fryer oil too. Dig a hole 3'x3'x 3' add 100# of shelled corn and pour the fryer oil over it,smear the bacon grease on the trees then throw what's left of the grease in the hole on top of everything else (the sun will melt it). Doesn't hurt to pour on a couple cans of beer if you want ( me I just drink the beer ).
There isn't a hog or bear in the area that can resist that mixture.
There's alot of bears around my camp and when we get families that like to watch bears we setup a bait like this down in the meadow below the cabin. Once hogs or bears get on it they stay on it so you'll go thru about 200# of corn and 2 5gal buckets of oil/grease a week easily.