Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 Hunt anytime? how to bring in the herd? >

Hunt anytime? how to bring in the herd?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hunt anytime? how to bring in the herd?

Old 12-24-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Hunt anytime? how to bring in the herd?

I was just curious..if I'm limited on deer hunting i'm postive i'll make stand first thing in the AM or 2ish afternoon and head to last light.

But about hogs? with the end of deer season approaching, I'm going to hog hunt in the winter (and I got LOTS of hog sign) so do I go AM, PM, anytime?

Do I use a call to drum up business so to speak..scents? hopefully someone has some insights for me to help maximize my time.

Work will be starting back up, it's always busier in the spring, and I'm taking 2 graduate classes trying to finish up my master degree. Any suggestions appreciated

Ken B
North Texas
Old 12-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hunt anytime? how to bring in the herd?

Ken, I have always hunted hogs with dogs and we always did better in the early morning and late in the afternoon, and alot of night hunting.It all depends how many hogs in the area.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:48 PM

yea i agree. i have had just as many hogs either way. Hunting hunting. dogs give you a big advantage. i usually post up in a stand and sit for a few hours if i know there coming to that area. i have also kinda learned the round trips of the hogs in my lease. its useually every 2 days they make a round so i know if i should stand hunt or not bother.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

Anytime,but I have noticed more afternoon movement with hogs in the late season.Also after doing some scouting today,I have noticed they are rooting up under live oaks.I guess there isn't much for them,as far as acorns go right now,and they must be trying to find some that may be under the leaves.They have been in the foodplots too.I had a hog call from K&H.It sounded like a wheezing deer grunt.It was ok.I never called anything in with it,but I have gotten them to stop to listen to it before.I'm not sure about scents for hogs...I have never gotten quite that serious.I usually stalk them.I usually walk along creeks,and swamp/pine edges.They really like moist earth,not necessarily flooded or completely muddy.When I find fresh rooting,or trails I usually follow the mud marks on trees until I find them.They are noisy,and if you slip along you can ease right up to them.In bow range actually.Just pay attention to the wind they have a heck of a nose.Hope I helped.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

What part of North Texas are you going to hunt?... Call me, and I'll go with you, and show you how, am always looking for a FREE hog hunt... "Now you might have to hear about Jesus."
Old 12-25-2005, 08:13 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Early morning and evening till dark 30. I hate hunting hogs at night. You better watch your back side when you go out. Again I hate it but I still go.
Beer soured corn + deep hole = happy hogs.
You can also go to your feed store and see if they have any Strawberry powder, (strong stuff), that they add to piglet food. They can smell this stuff for a long way off.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:00 PM

For some reason, I have seen more hogs between 8:30 am and 9 am than any other time of day. I know it sounds weird, but it's true. And evening of course. If you would like to see a line of scents and calls feel free to stop by our webpage.

www.razorbackoutfitters.com