Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Traping brainstorm

Old 10-18-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Traping brainstorm

I have a trap I made for hogs and it has one of those doors where they can keep comming in. It worked ok but not as good as I wanted so I ran a string from the door over the top and down the back to the floor where I tied it to a flat 2x4 inch of flat aluminum plate and put a 6x12 by 6 inch deep cardbord box on top of the aluminum plate and filled with corn so when they eat half the corn itflys up leting the door down. first nite 6 in the trap. better than I ever done! also put two small piles in front of box so while eating the piles more could come in before eating the corn in box.
I do believe this is going to be the cats meow.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:48 PM

Default RE: Traping brainstorm

the way I do mine,is I have a long trap 16' and the treddle is at the back about 2' from the pannel. I put two sticks into the grown about 2' , they are about a foot apart. I run a rope from the top of the gate up to a stick with a fork in it. the rope goes through the fork back to a stick about 2' long.I hook it behing the two in the grown.this holds the gate up. I then pour a small trail of corn bown both sides of the trap.a pile in the middle in front of the treddle,then pour corn under the stick across the two in the grown,when they eat all down the sides and the pile in the middle,they root under the stick and it goes up and the door falls.

I have caught as many as 18 in one trap.9 another time,6 and 7 many times.works real well.just be sure to put corn on the side and before they get to the back.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:37 PM

That sounds easy to do I'll try that one. I would also like to hear other trigger methods also. the hogs are taking over my place and I want to remove as many as I can
Old 10-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hinge a door from the side and have it where it closes at an angle. Use a big bungee strap to pull the door closed. The bungee will give enough to allow the door open when a hog pushes on it but hold it closed on it's own. When the hogs come in they push on the door and push it open, then when they try to leave they push against the door it will wedge it closed tighter. New hogs can come in and push the door open but the hogs inside the trap cannot push the door open. We've had hogs wedged in the traps where we couldn't get anymore inside. We have other traps that have a sliding door straight down, though they learn to push the door up if you don't have a latch to prevent it from sliding back up. We use a spring loaded pin that slides into the door when it slides down. Until we added the pins we used to listen to the hogs sticking their snouts in the door and raising it up until they could slip out.