Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
AR aftermarket triggers >

AR aftermarket triggers

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

AR aftermarket triggers

Old 09-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I researched all of the other triggers mentioned in this thread and many others.

For my money (still expensive IMO), the best "drop-in" single stag trigger for an AR-15 out there (JP EZ).

I had it built with a 2 stage trigger (Geissele) at the suggestion of my smith - I shot it well, but always felt like a trigger with a lot of "take-up" or "creep".

Smart for a tactical weapon I understand, but this was intended as a predator gun for me (All my hunting rifles triggers are set at 3lbs).

Last edited by Sheridan; 09-08-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

C'mon Sheridan, don't you know? The first stage of a two stage trigger is like foreplay!!!

They make both because different guys like different things. I like 2 stage triggers even for hunting because I like to settle in, get some pressure on the trigger as I get my target under the wire in my scope, then build up to the break as my crosshairs find home where I want to send it. Then again, I shoot all of my weapons with the same mentality whether it's chasing paper or a coyote. With a 2 stage, I can warm up to a shot by taking the slack out of the first stage, but if I don't get the exact placement or position I want, I can let off. It's a bit irrational, but I always feel like I need to reset my trigger if I built any pressure against a single stage trigger and didn't break the shot.

I do prefer a nice light, CRISP single stage for 3gun or other speed shooting (and would prefer one if I were in a battlefield scenario with a semiauto) because of the shorter and faster trigger reset. Long travel is long travel in both directions. I know the Bushmaster trigger will reset the 2nd stage without reseting the 1st, but that's not 100% true of all designs (not sure I've ever tried it with a RRA or Geis).

The good news about that is that almost all of the good AR triggers are available in both single stage and two stage. Geissele makes both, JP makes both, RRA makes both, Bushmaster, Timney, etc (although Timney might not make a 2 stage anymore?).

Granted, a spring kit or sending off to Bill Springfield won't convert a single stage "mil-spec" heavy & gritty trigger to a 2 stage precision hunting trigger, but if you like single stage, Bill's work or a spring kit are very affordable options.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I understand my smith correctly; a 2 stage trigger is for tactical work to "help" prevent operator error from a accidental discharge.

................. and I cant see how it could "help" !

I prefer no "take-up" or "creep" on a hunting rifle trigger and I love the short trigger resent for follow-up shots and for those multiple opportunity occasions.

Lastly, I do not like triggers set below 2lbs on hunting rifles !!!

As you suggest - Each to they're own.

BTW - I do love foreplay though ............... LOL !
Old 09-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I run 3-6 oz jewels on my bolt guns, and RRA tuned NM triggers on my AR's, have no trouble hitting stuff with either, just wear thin gloves when its cold.
RR
Old 09-08-2014, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

Has anyone heard of Layke Tactical 3lb Single-Stage Drop-In Competition Trigger?
Old 09-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
C'mon Sheridan, don't you know? The first stage of a two stage trigger is like foreplay!!!

They make both because different guys like different things. I like 2 stage triggers even for hunting because I like to settle in, get some pressure on the trigger as I get my target under the wire in my scope, then build up to the break as my crosshairs find home where I want to send it. Then again, I shoot all of my weapons with the same mentality whether it's chasing paper or a coyote. With a 2 stage, I can warm up to a shot by taking the slack out of the first stage, but if I don't get the exact placement or position I want, I can let off. It's a bit irrational, but I always feel like I need to reset my trigger if I built any pressure against a single stage trigger and didn't break the shot.

I do prefer a nice light, CRISP single stage for 3gun or other speed shooting (and would prefer one if I were in a battlefield scenario with a semiauto) because of the shorter and faster trigger reset. Long travel is long travel in both directions. I know the Bushmaster trigger will reset the 2nd stage without reseting the 1st, but that's not 100% true of all designs (not sure I've ever tried it with a RRA or Geis).

The good news about that is that almost all of the good AR triggers are available in both single stage and two stage. Geissele makes both, JP makes both, RRA makes both, Bushmaster, Timney, etc (although Timney might not make a 2 stage anymore?).

Granted, a spring kit or sending off to Bill Springfield won't convert a single stage "mil-spec" heavy & gritty trigger to a 2 stage precision hunting trigger, but if you like single stage, Bill's work or a spring kit are very affordable options.
I fire my Geissele much like a glock. I only let off enough pressure to hear the "click". No need to let the first stage all the way out. Matter of fact you're not supposed to shoot that way with follow up shots... I believe the 2nd stage of a geissele SSA is 2.5lbs.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Doctor,

What.............on second thought, you won't be fine ?!?!

Nomercy will tell you....................
Old 09-16-2014, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for everyone’s input on the trigger dilemma. Did some more research and ended up going with the Geissele Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced trigger. Liked the fact that the installation looked very straight forward and there was no messing with timing the sear.

Hopefully when it gets here in another week, or so I’ll get to put it in. Sucks having to wait for the October trip to camp to shoot it, but that’s the way it goes sometimes.

The low first stage of 2.3# and second stage of 1.2# sounded appealing to me. Wasn’t always of fan of two stage triggers, but after shooting a sporterized M98 of my dad’s and my Glock I can tolerate them.

Figured if I learn to take up the first stage while pulling the crosshairs down on the target it would help me get used to having the two stages. Guess range time will be the telling factor on this one.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

New geislle trigger is in. With all 10 thumbs did it in 40 minutes. Compressing the hammer spring took a lot of time. Super pumped to shoot and think it was time and $ very well spent.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of my rifles has that trigger, and i really like the way it works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.