Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Custom Rifle Builder >

Custom Rifle Builder

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Custom Rifle Builder

Old 03-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default Custom Rifle Builder

Has anyone on the forum used Ted's Custom Shop in Weatherford, OK to build a custom rifle. If so, let me know how pleased you were with the rifle.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

This is probably no help since I have no experience with that shop, but if you're considering anyone else to use, i couldn't give Hill Country Rifles in New Braunfels, TX higher praise.
They have been VERY helpful in getting my custom rifle started. I could not have asked for a better, more professional experience with them.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Ask questions and talk to the guy, find out what he does for what your paying. If he get's pissed that your asking so many questions or gives you answers that you know for a fact is wrong, then he's not for you. After 2 custom builds i realized that the 'smith i had been using was doing my guns like it was the 90's. And giving me weird answers , that could be proven wrong all day on youtube.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

I did send my action to Ted for rebarreling and restocking. I'm going with a Broughton 5C barrel finished at 24" & will be putting it into a B&C Medalist. Broughton is going to copy my factory contour & the action already had a Timney Trigger attached. The action is S&W 1500 (Howa). I'm going with 25-06 as this is what the rifle was and I enjoy it very much. Finally burned out the throat after 20 years & I'm eager to see what velocity gains I can get out of 2" more tube and the canted land barrel.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:04 AM
Spike

When you find a gunsmith you like stick with him. I have had Ted build three rifles for me, rechamber one and is now repairing one. His work is impeccable and timely. Like anyone he has his opinions but more importantly he understands you as the customer should get what you want and will not force those opinions on you. I can only speak for myself when I say that with each build he has done I got more than I expected.