Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Mossberg Bantam 500 youth question. >

Mossberg Bantam 500 youth question.

Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Mossberg Bantam 500 youth question.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mossberg Bantam 500 youth question.

I picked up this gun for my wife for turkey hunting. It had come with semi-adjustable sights (stock) only for windage (left and right). The gun is shooting way high... I would like to know if the stock sights snap on/off, because I'm thinking of just putting a bigger bead on the front, so it will then bring the gun barrel down?

Can anyone help with this issue... Thank You
Old 03-15-2012, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know how the sights are attached. Are they rifle-style sights? You're right that a taller front sight will bring the POI down. If the front sight is soldered or brazed to the barrel, then perhaps you could attach a taller aftermarket sight just behind it, so you would not see the factory installed sight when aiming.

My Mossberg 500 smoothbore slug barrel does have elevation adjustment in the rear sight. It has a screw that holds a small plate with the "v" in it, and it can be moved up/down a bit. The front sight is either soldered or welded to the barrel. I would think that the blade portion of the front sight could be ground or filed off to create a flat, and then a new, taller blade could be attached easily enough. I also think that with some heat applied, the entire front sight could be removed and a taller one attached. I would need a smith to do either of these options.

Last edited by UncleNorby; 03-15-2012 at 03:36 AM.