Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Remington 700 synthetic stocks >

Remington 700 synthetic stocks

Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Remington 700 synthetic stocks

Old 12-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Remington 700 synthetic stocks

Gentleman

Can you shorten synthetic stocks to fit a smaller shooter. I would love for my son to use his grandfathers deer rifle, but would like to shorten up a different stock. Want to keep dads original stock as is.
I see you can find synthetic stocks very reasonably priced on the inter-net.
Thanks for your help.

Clay
Old 12-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Spike

My brother in law had a synthetic stock shortened by a local gun smith it looked fine after the butt pad adjustment.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here' the thing with Sythetic stocks m.. Stiffer is better..If you get those cheep injection moulded pices of crap, they aren't gonna shoot..Like wood shrinking and swelling, Oil and Petrolium plastics, emmit gasses and will never stop emitting gasses. Plastics are not as stable as lead to believe.
Plastics are temperature sensitive, and warp and deform in extreme temperatures just like wood in alot of cases.Once these plastics warp and deform, you are litterly betting your next shot, is on the stiffness of the stock and hoping that the barrel lug has settled back into the right position in cheep plastic stock.. .Dupont is the leader in making synthetics.. Leave it to them to use the cheapest grade plastics to make their cheap Rem synthetic stocks..Buyer beware.. If this is a rifle you want your son to use,cherrish and not just collect dust in his closet till your son has kids.. Go
quality, Go with a stiff fiberglass composite (not to be confused with plastic or injection moulded) stock or laminate, or a very well seasoned wood.. But really nothing beats Laminate. This is for your son,Make it right the first time.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 02-19-2011 at 03:42 PM.