Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Bell Carlson stock >

Bell Carlson stock

Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Bell Carlson stock

Old 10-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Spike

Default Bell Carlson stock

I recently purchased a Bell and Carlson replacement stock for my Savage 110 when I tighten the stock bolts snug the bolt hangs up! I sent stock back to B&C and notified them of my problem. They sent me another it is a little better but still not right. I had savage send me a set of screws for 110 plastic and wood tried both no help. It seems to me the magazine is being squeezed against the bolt, I dont know if this is possible! When I put plastic stock on it is ok. Anyone seen this problem? B&C said they have never heard of this! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks P.S. there is a 3/32 difference in the depth of the plastic and replacement stock (magazine).
Old 10-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Kind of a long read....sorry...My guess is the stock isn't fit properly. Not trying to slam them but I have similar problems with a stock I got from them for a WBY. It was supposed to be a drop in stock no fitting required. After it showed up, I had to spend several hours to get it to fit well enough for the action to fit and function properly. After about 2 years of minor use, the gun was resting against the wall and tipped over causing the stock to break. They claim to have a lifetime warranty, but they told me I had to send it back for them to "evaluate". I told them exactly what happened and after they looked at it they said it probably broke because I didn't have a metal recoil lug bedded into the stock but they would REPLACE it -- but it would be about 6 weeks. I told them as long as they were building a new one, to increase the LOP and go ahead and put the metal recoil lug in. Well over 10 weeks later and several phone calls to find out the status I finally got it back. I ended up having to pay shipping both ways and as expected the cost of the custom work I had done. Upon my inspection, they had only REPAIRED the stock I had sent them, the LOP was not what I specified and the "recoil lug" that was installed is nothing more than a piece of sheetmetal epoxied into the bottom of the stock where the front action screw is located. This "lug" does nothing to help absorb recoil.....the hole is so over sized it can't even touch the sides of the action screw, and in my mind putting the recoil on the screw is asking for trouble anyway. After all the work they had done they refinished the stock. Not sure if the finish is an epoxy or what, but it was built up enough that I had to completely refit the action....and it appears the barrel channel is now misaligned, also the magazine floor plate pops open upon firing. If I were you, I'd either return it or sell it and try to find another option. Good Luck!
Old 10-20-2010, 07:20 AM
Spike

Default B&C Stocks?

I have four B&C stocks for Savage/Stevens rifles. Three are Duramaxx and one is a Carbrlite sporter. All were "drop-in". No problems. I can't imagine what the problem could be with your stock or rifle. Try pulling the magazine box and putting the action in the stock.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!