Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Shotgun choke.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Spike

Default Shotgun choke.

Howdy, so I got this Remington 1100 but i'm fairly sure it does not have a choke. I plan on turkey hunting so a good choke would be nice, are there any chokes I can attach to end of barrel? Mine doesnt have the threads anyside for screw in ones so not sure what to do.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a dime out of your pocket and see it it will fit down the barrel....let us know if it does or does not.....

If it doesn't then you have a full choke barrel!!!!!.....just right for turkeys!!!!! Don't futs with it!!!!!
Old 10-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Spike

It does fit.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rebel Son
It does fit.
OK....then you need to find someone with a dial calipers and measure the barrel ID.....that way we know what choke you have....

It's probably a modified if the dime actually goes into the barrel....

Get the measurement and we can go from there

Do you reload?
Old 10-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Spike

I know its modified now, my dad called the guy who he bought it from and he confirmed it as modified, is this choke good for turkey?
Old 10-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rebel Son
I know its modified now, is this choke good for turkey?
I've hunted with a lot of turkeys that used a modified choke.....LOL but that wasn't what you're asking....

Best is a full or even extra full.....but if you get some 1 7/8 Oz or even 2 Oz loads (you didn't say if it is a 2 3/4" or a 3" gun)....heck.....a 1 3/4 Oz load of #6 shot will put enough BBs in the right place to drop your turkey on the spot.....and yes....at 40 yards.....I've killed turkeys with a .410 if you can believe that.....

Take it and go hunting.....aim for the head/neck area and be careful you don't shoot more than one bird with a shot.....

A guy I took out last year shot three turkeys with a modified choke with one shot (he also shoots steel in it so wanted it to be modified) and this year he shot two big toms with a single shot!

It'll work.....get some #6 shot and as heavy a load as you can find.....have faith!
Old 10-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Spike

Its 2 3/4", and I'll keep the ammo stuff in mind and see how I do with it. I wouldn't mind a full choke but its not a interchangeable so would need new barrel and I aint got that kinda money lol