Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Hawkens nipple problem >

Hawkens nipple problem

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Hawkens nipple problem

Old 10-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hawkens nipple problem

I was doing my final site in tonight, on my third shot the nipple ends up being blown off the gun, ends up on the ground next to me. I tried to screw it back in, but the threads appear to be stripped on the gun.

Looking for suggestions on getting my gun working before thursday, local gun repair shop won't be able to look at it for 3 weeks. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Rick C.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

fixed it, found that the 1/4 - 28 nipple is a bit bigger diameter thread, was able to tap a new thread, picked up new nipple, looks good for Thursdays opener!
Old 10-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

do you have a european muzzleloader? the threading on my tc whitemountain carbine is exactly 1/4 28 national fine with a 85% fit. if you have a euro gun, it will prolly have m6x1 fine threading, which means its about .2362'' x 25.4tpi. if you are still using the original nipple, it will have that 25.4 tpi thread which you shouldnt mix with your newly tapped 28 tpi gun. the bright side is that you tapped you gun to the american standard nipple, not a euro thread so you can just go out and buy a nipple for a tc.

Last edited by dylan_b; 10-19-2010 at 06:10 PM.