Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

recoil reducers

Old 09-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default recoil reducers

Does anyone out there have any experience with recoil reducers for heavy magnum rifle. I have a Remington 700, 7mm that kicks like a mule. Ive been thinking about putting a recoil reducer in the stock. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, the mercury recoil reducers do help tame recoil. They have models that you can install in either the butt of the stock or in the forearm under the barrel or both.

For example... I had a customer bring me a Benelli SBE-II a few years ago because it would not cycle 2.75" 3-3/4 dram 1-1/4oz shells which the SBE-II should do quite easily. The Benelli shotguns require recoil to cycle the bolt. If it isn't there the bolt won't cycle. I went through everything inside that gun and couldn't find a dang thing wrong with it. Finally I took the butt stock off and found the mercury recoil reducer he had installed. Took it off and it cycled just fine.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sqezer
Does anyone out there have any experience with recoil reducers for heavy magnum rifle. I have a Remington 700, 7mm that kicks like a mule. Ive been thinking about putting a recoil reducer in the stock. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
....Most recoil reducers used are by competition shotgunners, and are located in the hole in the buttstock used to access the bolt that attaches the stock to the action. Rifles normally do not have this chamber, and it would have to be drilled out to accomodate that type of reducer. I'd be more than a little nervous about getting that done. Iff'n it were me, I'd opt for a GOOD recoil pad on it.

Last edited by Pawildman; 09-25-2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 09-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

+ 1 for Pachmayr

Here is the one I use;

http://www.pachmayr.com/D752B.php

Last edited by Sheridan; 09-27-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

Muzzle Break is what I would have installed. It will take the recoil out of the gun if it is done properly. The mercury recoil reducers work well but I've not seen one in application on a rifle and in most cases the synthetic stocks on the rifles have no way to accomodate them. A good recoil pad helps a lot. I just did a mecury suppressor and a recoil pad on my wifes Mossberg 500 shotgun and honestly felt recoil was reduced by a good 50% she can shoot a couple hundred rounds of bird shot with no bruise on her shoulder anymore. Using heavier loads for duck/goose hunting is now comparable to the birdshot low brass before I installed the recoil suppression. It ran me right around 100.00 for the parts and I installed them myself. I've used this same system on a few shotguns and it has had the same result on all of them. If you wan't the recoil gone completely and your gun has a wood stock do the mecury suppressor, the recoil pad, and the muzzle break. I can't say it will be like shooting a 22 but you won't be complaining. Otherwise install the muzzle break and the recoil pad if it a synthetic stock.

Last edited by ACutting; 09-27-2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Spelling Errors