Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

range question

Old 09-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Spike

Default range question

ok so i sighted my gun in yesterday and i leave the magnification on 7 because i like that setting and dont want the possiblity of moving the mag and that the zero might change. my main concern is that i sigted it in first a 35 yards and had the paralex set to about 35. later i moved out to 100 yards and without paying attention set the paralax too 200 yards. i took a few shots and they were hitting very high then i noticed the adjustment and brought it down to 100 and was hitting right on target. now i thought all the paralex did is focus the target. can this adjustment affect the elavation zero.
Attached Thumbnails range question-scope.jpg  
Old 09-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

No the way I've seen it happen is dead on at 50 yards is 2.5 inches high (30-06,270,7mag) at 100 yards and dead on at 25 yards is 2 inches high at 50 so at 35 yards it'd be about 4 to 4.5 inches high at 100. Go try it if you don't believe me

Last edited by Backwoods7; 09-28-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:42 AM
sm
Spike

When parallax is properly set for the distance involved, you can make small movements of your eye left, right, up, down, and assuming that you don't move the gun, the crosshairs will stay in the same place. When the parallax is improper, if your eye is directly aligned with the crosshairs and target, it doesn't matter, but if you shift slightly left, right, up, down, the crosshairs will appear to move. Depending on the parallax setting, the crosshairs may move in the direction of eye travel, or opposite that direction. Non-adjustable scopes are set for a compromise distance, that's one difference between a shotgun or black powder scope and one intended for use on a high powered rifle.