Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
May have screwed up? >

May have screwed up?

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

May have screwed up?

Old 07-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default May have screwed up?

I own a Ruger Mark II .338 Win mag(pre Hawkeye edition). The barrel was always making a little contact with the fron of the stock. So i decided to sand it away(composite stock). know the gun makes a rattle noise from uop front and the gun does not seem to shoot the same as it did before. I cannot get the same groups I was getting. Tell me what may have happened?? What do you think about me getting a new stock from ruger and starting over? What if I filled the forend with glass bedding to may be bring the back to close as original.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

Some barrels need a little pressure from the stock in order to shoot well. Stick a couple of business cards under the barrel, about an inch back from the front of the stock. Add and/or subtract cards until you start getting your groups back. Then you can make a permanent shim or bed one.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Did you tighten the front action screw back properly? How about the sling swivel stud? Dont mean to seem insulting but its usually the simple things that make rattling noises I do stuff like that all the time.