Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Help with my Remington 11-87 cycling problem? >

Help with my Remington 11-87 cycling problem?

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Help with my Remington 11-87 cycling problem?

Old 06-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Spike

Default Help with my Remington 11-87 cycling problem?

I shoot weekly sporting clays and my gun jams up at least 4 or 5 times. We shoot 50 clays and I clean and oil it every time we go. I bought the gun a few months ago new only had really had nothing but problems. I don't have a super mag, and I shoot Federal 2"3/4 with 7 1/2 shot 1 1/8 oz, usually target load, but the last few times I went and used game loads. I have herd you can turn the piston around when shooting 2"3/4 loads but I didn't want to try it without finding out first. I would think you should be able to run at least a few hundred rounds through without having to clean it and not have any issues. Does anyone else have the same problem?
Old 07-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hello,

This is the gun classifieds forum for the sale, buy or trade of guns. If you repost your thread and put in the gun forum I would hope you'd get replies that will help you.

iSnipe
Old 07-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Read the owners manual, it should tell you how to switch the piston seat assembly to light loads.
If you can't figure it out, take it to where you got it from.
Or call Remington, and talk to a tech.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never heard of turning the piston around in a gas gun to shoot lighter/heavier loads... I suspect it wouldn't cycle at all with the piston reversed..

In long recoil operated guns like the Browning A-5 and Rem 11-48, you can turn the FRICTION RINGS around to adjust for lighter loads... Perhaps that is what your source was thinking about..

Your gun may just need a few hundred more rounds to "break it in"... I bought an SA grade 1100 years ago that malfunctioned a few times the first 1000 rounds or so..After that it was fine..

Another thing to check is light rust in the chamber...Brush the chamber real well and keep a light layer of lubricant in it and see if that helps..

Of course, you need to keep the piston assembly, gas ports and the outside of the magazine tube clean of powder residue..Don't go overboard oiling it..The 1100/11-87 was designed to function without much lubrication, especially on the pistons and mag tube..
Old 07-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Inspect the rubber "O" ring, it might be cracked, after a few months of my brand new 11-87 I had the same problem, not sure of the size of the "O" ring, but I took it to my local plumbing supply store and they sized it up, for like a dollar I got 12 if not more of them, always have one on me when hunting, just in case. This was a few years ago, and I never changed it since then.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

+1 on the O-ring.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:22 AM
Spike

Default 11/87

Originally Posted by wisco_outdoors
i shoot weekly sporting clays and my gun jams up at least 4 or 5 times. We shoot 50 clays and i clean and oil it every time we go. I bought the gun a few months ago new only had really had nothing but problems. I don't have a super mag, and i shoot federal 2"3/4 with 7 1/2 shot 1 1/8 oz, usually target load, but the last few times i went and used game loads. I have herd you can turn the piston around when shooting 2"3/4 loads but i didn't want to try it without finding out first. I would think you should be able to run at least a few hundred rounds through without having to clean it and not have any issues. Does anyone else have the same problem?
if you had it a short time then send it back for warrenty.
When cleaning did you pull trigger group ?
Old 07-24-2010, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I took my 11-87 to the range yesterday to sight it in with slugs, when I got home to clean it I changed the rubber "O" ring, not that it needed it, but just in case