Gunsmithing Projects & Techniques Reference material for step by step projects and gunsmithing techniques

The coffee can shotgun restoration

Old 03-04-2014, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know about you guys, but from the two threads I've seen the OP put up, I think he's a miracle worker with a lot of talent and patience!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 View Post
I don't know about you guys, but from the two threads I've seen the OP put up, I think he's a miracle worker with a lot of talent and patience!!!
I agree. that is some phenominol work!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I was in High school those 66's were everywhere and they were cheap. I only live 45 min from Ithaca NY so it stands to reason that's why. My wife has one in .410 gauge with a vent rib barrel that belonged to her Dad. I knew fellas in NY that wouldn't trade their 66 Buckbuster for love nor money because they did throw a slug well and weighed next to nothing to carry for the day. That said, I was at a small local gun show on Sunday and saw some 66's in various states of condition and was amazed at the prices they're bringing nowadays. Hopefully you'll be able to find a clean replacement barrel for a reasonable price. Congrats on the exemplary work you've done so far resurrecting that old gal from the dead!

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 03-04-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Typical Buck

the place I called about 66 barrels hand a about any part for a 66 but barrels. still looking. my first gun at age 3 months was a 66 in 410 now I have 18 ithaca 66.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bbj270 View Post
the place I called about 66 barrels hand a about any part for a 66 but barrels. still looking. my first gun at age 3 months was a 66 in 410 now I have 18 ithaca 66.
18 of 'em? FML, why?
Old 03-05-2014, 01:43 AM
Typical Buck

some thing to collect it was.my first gun and I like them. when I started collecting them they where not asking crazy prices.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:16 AM
Typical Buck

Got a new shipment of Brownells Baking lacquer so I was able to spray and bake the receiver and lever. I had the time so I spent it doing more to smooth out the receiver and get rid of the pock marks. It turned out pretty well. It will look even better with two coats of paste wax to give it some shine. Im almost ready to put the gun back together. The stock is nearly finished getting coats of tung oil.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:31 AM
Typical Buck

Last night was a banner night for this old shotgun. A few things of note took place. First of all since this gun was destroyed by a raccoon and it pitted the receiver and lever (and raised hell on the wood) I opted to mark the history of the gun into that same receiver. I was originally going to mark both sides but opted for just one side.

I masked off an area and sprayed it with flat, white spray paint.

Then I placed tape over the paint and drew in the image I wanted on the receiver. I painted the receiver white so I could see the pencil lines.

I used a fine pointed diamond bit in my dremmel to take away the black baking lacquer and shine up the aluminum underneath.

Then I peeled away the tape and washed away the white paint with acetone leaving the tribute to the masked bandit etched into the metal.

I assembled all the metal parts and attached the finished wood. For now I have the pitted barrel on the gun just for the pictures.

The stippling worked out very well.

The cracked stock is repaired and looks a bit better than before.

This gun has come a long way from the coffee can.

Also last night I won an Ebay Auction for a replacement barrel for this gun in the buckbuster configuration (with front and rear rifle sights) So this old gun can once again take to the deer woods. (once I recondition the barrel and reblue it) The barrel set me back $128 but since I got the gun for nothing, It all works out in the end. Here are the images from the Ebay Auction.

With this one done its time to move onto a gun with some sentimental value to me. A 1940 Winchester model 37. Its my father’s gun and the first shotgun I ever fired. Time to start a new restoration thread for this rusty mule kicker.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on another job well done.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

And I thought only God was a miracle worker! I guess in actuality He truly is the driving force behind your remarkable skills though!!! Keep em coming, as I'm now looking closely at this Forum to see what you're up to next!