Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Round Nose Bullets - Who uses them? >

Round Nose Bullets - Who uses them?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Round Nose Bullets - Who uses them?

Old 05-04-2005, 10:02 PM

Default RE: Round Nose Bullets - Who uses them?

ORIGINAL: DM

This has been discussed in detail by Craig Boddington and I dare anyone in this forum to dispute that man's knowledge
I don't dispute what Craig has said, he bases his knowledge on HIS experences!! At least i hope he does.

"I" on the other hand base my knowledge on MY experences! AND, my experence says that "speed kills"!!!!

"If" you have pass throughs without damage at higher velocities, then your useing "too tough" of a constructed bullet for THAT situation!!! These days there's just "no excuse" for a bullet to NOT expand well at low V and also hold up well at high V!!!!

A factory 45/70 load will NOT kill a deer better, faster, easier or any other objective you want to use than, say my 30-06 loaded with a factory 150 grain load!!!! Don't believe me???? Try it yourself! I have!! Better yet, let me use 150 grain NP's!!!!

SPEED KILLS, as long as you use the proper bullets with it!!

Drilling Man
Well said BUT I've seen too many handloaders spend months finding the most accurate loads that deliver the most energy only to find that the darn deer still runs a couple hundred yards after being hit. Most of those accurate and fast bullets are designed for varmint hunting and varmint bullets are supposed to expand as fast as possible. Hit a deer with them at those super high velocities and they explode on contact leaving hamburg just under the skin but healthy organs deep in the chest cavity. A 45/70 hits like a freight train and keeps on going like one too.
Ask any archer what penetrates better, a light arrow or a heavy one. The heavy arrow will dig deeper each and every time. The same goes for bullets.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Speed kills but thats only part of the story. Good bullets at moderate velocities kill very well also. For example the 7x57, 7mm-08 6.5x55 and 308 are what I would call moderate velocity cartridges that kill like a bolt of lightning. All work well with RN or pointed bullets.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:51 AM

I use 'em in non bolt actions like the Remington pump. The reason is you get wonderful expansion at less than maximum loads and levers and pumps lack extracting power so you need to load them lighter. There is hardly any trajectory penalty until you get past 250 or so yards, so the question should be, why not?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:49 AM
bigcountry

Hit a deer with them at those super high velocities and they explode on contact leaving hamburg just under the skin but healthy organs deep in the chest cavity
Out of dozens and dozen of deer, I have yet to see that. Oh no, not the dreaded Ballistic tip myth. Yea, I read those articles too in all the shooting mags.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:08 AM
DM

Most of those accurate and fast bullets are designed for varmint hunting and varmint bullets are supposed to expand as fast as possible. Hit a deer with them at those super high velocities and they explode on contact leaving hamburg just under the skin but healthy organs deep in the chest cavity.
"If" varmits bullets are being used for big game, then your statement is TRUE, BUT it's called "operator error" for useing a varmit bullet for big game in the first place!!

It's totally BS to think good quality hunting bullets aren't very accurate!!

It's also totally BS to think that punching a big hole through a deer is the only thing that kills it!! Ever hear of hydrostatic shock????

Speed kills, and i stated long ago that you need a good quality bullet to go with it. No one on this site preaches the use of "quality" hunting bullets more than i do!!

Drilling Man
Old 05-05-2005, 08:33 AM

Firstshot
I am replying to your question. I use the round nose bullets in some of my Contener barrels with good results.I load my 35 remington,some 30-30 loads with round nose bullets.The 35 rem will shoot better groups with a 200 grain round nose Sierra than anything else.BUT I keep my shots 150 yards or less with these barrels and loads.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:57 AM

I have heard of "hydrostatic shock", it was invented by Roy Weatherby to sell rifles. I can find no evidence in the blood vessels of animals shot with super high velocity loads. What kills best is the LOSS of blood pressure to the brain. Hydrostatic shock theorizes that an INCREASE in blood pressure bursts blood vessels, but I've seen no such blood vessels.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

The quickest I have ever had deer go down where they stood consistently was with a 180gr round nose Winchester power point out of an '06. I dont use em these days though but wouldnt hesitate to. Big...I have had a ballistic tip explode on shoulder contact and fail to penetrate before.....but it was a real close shot. For that reason I doubt I will use them anymore although they are probably fine.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:38 PM
bigcountry

have heard of "hydrostatic shock", it was invented by Roy Weatherby to sell rifles. I can find no evidence in the blood vessels of animals shot with super high velocity loads.
Ok lets get this right? You have shot deer/game/whatever with a big/heavy/hardcast/whatever projectile at a slow speed like 1500fps and then shot one with a say 300weatherby broadsided and didn't see the bloodshot in the cavity while butchering?

If you answer yes, then I you hunt different animals than I do or butcher a totally different way than I do. The lungs are usually melted when shot with a 270 say at close range compared to a slug.

Old 05-05-2005, 02:09 PM

Wow, a lot more round nose shooters than I expected and somehow seems to have generated quite the "big slow vs light fast" discussion; but I'm more interested in who's using round nose bullets how do they perform on game. I suppose the "big slow vs light fast" issue could apply to round nose bullets as they come in very light to very heavy weights depending on caliber.

I'm shooting a REM 700 Mtn LSS in 7MM-08. Thinking about trying the Hornady 154 Grn round nose.

Do you think a 150Grn 7MM round nose would perform well on a shoulder shot, or should they be reserved for a behind the shoulder? What about angling shots?

firstshot
---------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Quick Reply: Round Nose Bullets - Who uses them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.