Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Armor Piercing Bullet Question >

Armor Piercing Bullet Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Armor Piercing Bullet Question

Old 04-30-2005, 06:59 AM

Default RE: Armor Piercing Bullet Question

[img=http://img107.echo.cx/img107/3792/ar15computerpictures0059tr.th.jpg]

This one is my wifes. I love watching her out shoot most men with it!
Old 04-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

This isn't exactly about A.P. rounds,But I bought some ammo the other day that had a polymer case. The first part from the rim to about 1/2 " up was brass then the rest of the way to the crimp ( If you want to call it that. can bend bullet out with finger) was gray plastic looking junk.Don't buy any for semi autos They are jam-o-matics. They may be alright for a bolt.I didn't even bring the rest of the 100 home to give them a chance.LOL Just thought ya'll might be interested.BTW I was shooting them in my A.R. and rarely if ever have a problem with feeding or jams it was trying to feed two at a time,bending the bullet and sending another one up under it.Not to good.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:24 PM

I found a few of these at the range a couple weeks back. Wondered if they would be worth trying. Thanks for the warning. Roskoe.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

The M855/SS109 green tip ball ammo is not a true hard armor penetrator at all. It's purpose was to provide better penetration through light cover and non-hardened structures like truck/car doors and typical light building materials. They also are designed to improve penetration through any soft body armor and gear worn by enemy troops. It will not penetrate any practical thickness of genuine hardened armor plate. On impact with any truly hard material the jacket would separate, and the mass of the steel insert is very small and is not itself hardened steel, which would provide little additional penetration.

Mike
Old 04-30-2005, 08:30 PM

any rifle round will go threw bullet proof vest and kevlar, so really any round other than the fast expanding pistol rounds are "armour peiceing". But what real use do any normal people have for bullets dubd armour peirceing?
Old 04-30-2005, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

The military definition of "armor penetrating" differs significantly from Diane Feinstein and the press' definition, with the bulk of people falling somewhere in between in their understanding of what that term means. Most FMJ CF rifle bullets will defeat the soft body armor a police officer wears, but that doesn't make them AP rounds because the intent of their design was not to defeat soft body armor, it just happens that the armor is simply inadequate to defeat the projectile. Actual AP rounds are designed with the purpose of defeating a certain level of armoring, utilizing special materials, construction and treatments to increase the effectiveness of the projectile on said armor allowing it to penetrate that which it could not penetrate otherwise.

Mike
Old 05-01-2005, 11:17 AM

Hunter 74 - I wasn't aware they even made the M955 AP round. I remember back when the SS109/M855 first came out - they were billed as a multi purpose round that would fill both the niche of regular FMJ battle ammo and the AP rounds. Thanks for the update. Roskoe
Old 05-01-2005, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

The magazine was delta force.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I found a few of these at the range a couple weeks back. Wondered if they would be worth trying. Thanks for the warning. Roskoe.

its junk, supposedly the plastic is supposed to make the ammunition lighter in weight for lower freight charges. but when it comes down to it the plastic cases dont allow enough neck tension on the bullet which in my opinion from experience with the stuff accuracy suffers greatly, also its non reloadable and not any cheaper then brass cased ammo.[:'(]
Old 05-04-2005, 08:00 AM

Get ahold of one, remove the bullet and cut it in half. You'll know what's inside.