Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Big Bore Debate >

Big Bore Debate

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Big Bore Debate

Old 04-25-2005, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big Bore Debate

Which big bore is best, .45-70 Gov, .444 Marlin or .450 Marlin?

I will not be reloading so I can only buy factory ammo. Does that info change things. I want to purchase one of these in a lever action marlin guide gun.

Tom
Old 04-25-2005, 07:45 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Big Bore Debate

I guess I have a hard time understanding what people means by "best". Best for what?

I just got a 45-70 today. Plan on haveing two rounds. One hotrodded up 2000 fps and one your typical 20KPSI load.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Hi Stat

I'd say go with the .45-70. You can find loads as hot (Garrett, Cor-Bon) as the .450, but also less punishing (Remington) rounds for practice. The .450 has limited factory loads. Don't buy any of that bulk .45-70 junk from Cabelas.

Good luck,
CE
Old 04-25-2005, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: statjunk

I will not be reloading so I can only buy factory ammo. Does that info change things. I want to purchase one of these in a lever action marlin guide gun.

Tom
I asked this same question about a year ago, and the info I got was, IF you plan on reloading the 45-70 is the better choice to achieve the best performance. But since you arent, the .450 has better factory loads. The reason for this is, the manufacturers of over the shelf ammo, have to take into account that someone may be buying their bullets, for a very old gun not able of handling alot of pressure.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry
I just got a 45-70 today. Plan on haveing two rounds. One hotrodded up 2000 fps and one your typical 20KPSI load.
And guess what???? you wont even use the darn thing!!!!!! It will sit in your safe with all the rest of your guns, and come hunting season, youll carry the same ol slug gun you do every year. [:@][:@] That is why I think you should sell it to ..............ME!!!!!!!! You should start doing what I do. During rifle season, I carry a different gun each day, I have enough different ones to make it through almost all 13 days of MD rifle season.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: statjunk
I will not be reloading so I can only buy factory ammo. Does that info change things.
I want to purchase one of these in a lever action marlin guide gun.
Tom
Best? Ans. = 45/70. The 444Marlin is good, but suffers from lack of good bullets in factory loads. The 450Marlin is okay, but IMO not as flexible as the old 45/70Gov.
I'd skip the guide model, and get the 1895 with 22" barrel. IMO, the 18" barrel of the guide model is too short.
Take the full size gun with pistol grip stock. If it were me, I'd have a 'smith cut/recrown
the barrel to 20", and remount the front sight. Order a replacement front bead from
Williams, a white bead. Replace the rear sight, also from Williams, using a shallow V blade. It's a very fast and accurate combo. For a scope, check out a Weaver 1-3x.
It's inexpensive, but a great scope for the 45/70, and the ranges it's normally used at.

You can find a good selection of ammo at MidwayUSA. Following are some links for
the items mentioned.
Links:

MidwayUSA: http://www.midwayusa.com/

Scopes: http://www.riflescopes.com/store/default.asp

Williams: http://www.williamsgunsight.com/

ps: Just checked Midway, and the Weaver 1-3x scope is on sale for $129.99
Old 04-25-2005, 08:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Mossy, you got that right! For a few times and then a good conversation
piece!
Old 04-25-2005, 08:05 AM
bigcountry

Man, I am on a roll with my sluggun. Only thing I have killed deer with (besides ML) in 2 years or more. I think it killed 4 or 5 last year, and same year before last. If I stop carrying it now, bad luck will happen. Don't mess with a streak. They don't come by very often.

Old 04-25-2005, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a .450 Marlin and love it, but either the 45/70 or .450 will do anything you need. I use mine for hog hunting and when you shoot one w/ a .450 they don't go far.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Jeffs, they don't go far with a .35Rem either!

Quick Reply: Big Bore Debate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.