Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 sniper rifle for hunting? >

sniper rifle for hunting?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sniper rifle for hunting?

Old 04-21-2005, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: sniper rifle for hunting?

Oldgrunt,

I'm on the outside looking in now, but it seems that the Army snipers are a lot better trained and prepared than the guys that I served with after Vietnam.

Maybe someone can help me. Talking about Vietnam era snipers, there was an Army sniper that had 127 confirmed kills, and I can't remember his name. He worked for Mitch Werbell of OSS and SIONICS fame after Vietnam. I remember they interviewed this guy in the late 70's on a ABC or CBS newsmagazine type show. I remember the image he projected reminded me a lot of the snake eaters that I went through various schools with when I was a grunt. Somebody remember who I'm talking about?
Old 04-21-2005, 05:20 PM

GRIZ...you talking about Adelbert Waldren?
Old 04-22-2005, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats the guy! I recognize the last name. I thought it was Waldrup. Thanks oldgrunt!
Old 04-23-2005, 05:21 PM

i have a 22-250 sighted in at 400yards that has taken down a 8point at about 350yards headshot behind the neck. Or my new 300WSM sighted in at 200yards. Hasnt gotten a hunt under its belt yet tho.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:23 PM

To be considered a "sniper rifle," the rifle has to be capable of holding a MOA (minute of angle), regardless of barrel weight, length, twist, or optics. But, most rifles that can do that have a heavy free-floating barrel, the perfect length and twist for the nodes and antinodes, and a good set of optics.

It doesn't matter what your effective range is, just that you can hold a MOA. Basically, for ya'lls purposes, that would be 3 shots in 1" at 100 yds. If your rifle can shoot every round you fire from 100 yards into a 1" pasty, you can declare your rifle a "sniper rifle" if you so choose.

Has nothing to do with the shooter, because you can take the 40, put it in a vise and it will easily hold a MOA, but throw it in someone's hands that doesn't know what they're doing with it, and it will look like a shotgun pattern. That doesn't make the rifle not a sniper rifle, that just makes the shooter unqualified.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:31 PM
bigcountry

To be considered a "sniper rifle," the rifle has to be capable of holding a MOA (minute of angle), regardless of barrel weight, length, twist, or optics. But, most rifles that can do that have a heavy free-floating barrel, the perfect length and twist for the nodes and antinodes, and a good set of optics.
Actually OneShot I beleive was on here saying 1.5MOA. I was surprised. But if it was him, he knows what he is talking about I think.

Old 04-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

World I 1903Springfield A4
Nope! The '03A4 was/is a WWII rifle that originated from the 03A3 of 1942 design.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

The phrase "sniper rifle" is entirely misleading, its one of the scary words or phrases that liberals love to use. its also the same phrase that will be used over and over untill the gun grabbers get our bolt action hunting rifles, heres a link http://www.boomershoot.org/general/ScaryWords.htm you all should take a look at .

I think this wyzeguy9 is a troll. careful guys
Old 04-25-2005, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

World I 1903Springfield A4
Nope! The '03A4 was/is a WWII rifle that originated from the 03A3 of 1942 design.
wasnt the 03-A4 just a 03-A3 fitted with a pendington device and modified to be mounted on a tank??
Old 04-25-2005, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Actually OneShot I beleive was on here saying 1.5MOA. I was surprised. But if it was him, he knows what he is talking about I think.

from reading everyones post , noone knows the definition of the phrase "sniper rifle".

the definition of a sniper rifle is......there is no definition. well the liberals have a definition, their definition is this Sniper Rifle - Your bolt action hunting rifle. its just a intimidating phrase to be used to refer to a bolt action rifle........... kinda like a shotgun with black synthetic stocks and a shortened barrel is refered to as an "Assault weapon"..............

Quick Reply: sniper rifle for hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.