Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 sniper rifle for hunting? >

sniper rifle for hunting?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sniper rifle for hunting?

Old 04-19-2005, 11:54 AM

Default RE: sniper rifle for hunting?

Wyzeguy,
I apologize. I misread your initial post. I thought you were referring to taking long shots vs showing off your long range weapon. I used a remington 700 sendero in 300 WM for two seasons when they first came out. I found quickly that the barrel is too long, the rifle was too heavy and unwieldy for most of the hunting in my area.(Alabama) I loved the rifle at the range, and I loved it in Texas, but here at home ......too much trouble. I apologize for misreading your post and good luck with that very nice rig in the picture. Have fun!
Old 04-19-2005, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Wyzeguy, I too misread your Post.....My apologies!
Old 04-19-2005, 01:58 PM

[:-] it would seem i sould be doing the apolozing... i'm sorry - didnt mean to mis lead you all

that being said ...lets see the pics of the rifles
Old 04-19-2005, 09:35 PM

ORIGINAL: SWAMPMAN

And the most "prolific U.S. sniper was Carlos Hathcock. A Marine, I believe.

Prolific? In in terms of recognized USMC kills the answer is Chuck Mawhinney (sp?)

Gunny Hatchcock was very prolific, but his legend has as much to do with the context of some his kills.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:39 PM

ORIGINAL: GRIZZLYMAN

It's funny that you talk about snipers. The land owner of one of our leases decided that he was going to take his sons deer hunting the first week of the season. One son is a police sniper. The land owner was telling us that he brought his sniper rifle, a scope that would go up to 24X, range finder, etc... Said he shot at a doe at 80 yards twice and missed!
[&:]
50% of snipers never were. I would question the bonafides of any sniper who brought a "sniper rifle" to a deer hunt, especially on the east coast.

Also keep in mind that there are HUGE differences is snipers, especially in police environments. Some can have minimal training, some are exceptional.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:49 AM

RidgeRunner,
His name was Carlos Norman Hathcock II. His most famous kill was his 1.42 mi. confirmed kill with a sniper rig in 50 BMG. His record for a confirmed kill with the 308 was a confirmed 1400 meter kill. His official record was 93 confirmed kills and @300 unconfirmed kills. Semper Fi! He trained police snipers in Virginia Beach , Virginia until his death in 1996 from Multiple Sclerosis complications. His school is still in operation. To attend, you must be law enforcement or military affiliated.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldgrunt

[50% of snipers never were. I would question the bonafides of any sniper who brought a "sniper rifle" to a deer hunt, especially on the east coast.

Also keep in mind that there are HUGE differences is snipers, especially in police environments. Some can have minimal training, some are exceptional.

I know what you mean oldgrunt. I was Army enlisted and officer during that period in the late 70's and 80's when the Army didn't have a formal sniper program. We had "designated" snipers at the battalion and company level. We had local sniper training programs, but they concentrated more on range marksmanship than field craft. We had a mixed bag with little quality control.

Our Table of Organization and Equipment changed in 1986 allowing us to have snipers at platoon and squad level. I was an Infantry Company Commander at the time and made the observation to our Bn Ops Officer (S3) that there was no provision for a spotter with the sniper. He laughed and said "remember this isn't written for the real world". I'm glad that the Army got back to a centralized sniper school where they can control the quality of the product.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

He used anything from an M40 AI (rem. 700 308 with a redfield 3x9 w/accutrack)
That is not an M40A1.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: SWAMPMAN

RidgeRunner,
His name was Carlos Norman Hathcock II. His most famous kill was his 1.42 mi. confirmed kill with a sniper rig in 50 BMG. His record for a confirmed kill with the 308 was a confirmed 1400 meter kill. His official record was 93 confirmed kills and @300 unconfirmed kills. Semper Fi! He trained police snipers in Virginia Beach , Virginia until his death in 1996 from Multiple Sclerosis complications. His school is still in operation. To attend, you must be law enforcement or military affiliated.
Did you read this out of a book as you were posting it? If you did, get another book because your post is not entirely correct.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

You guys really miss the point. Sniper Rifle is the next term to be used by those that want you firearms like Assault Rifle was.
I hunt with darn good rifles. My Rem 700 DBM in 7 Rem Mag and my VS in 22.250 are terrific shooters and put factory fodder into the same hole (1/8" - 3/16" groups regularly) when I do my bit. Are they "sniper " rifles no ,but what does that really mean. To the gun grabbers it's any scoped high power rifles. I'd like to kick the powers that be in the gun industry in the family jewels and slap someone when they use terms like that to decribe thier products.

Quick Reply: sniper rifle for hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.