Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 sniper rifle for hunting? >

sniper rifle for hunting?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sniper rifle for hunting?

Old 04-30-2005, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: sniper rifle for hunting?

I see your point here as well Float, this discussion has now simply reached a level of

se·man·tics ( P ) Pronunciation Key (s-mntks)

n. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)

Linguistics. The study or science of meaning in language.

The meaning or the interpretation of a word, sentence, or other language form:

We're basically agreed; let's not quibble over semantics.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:18 AM

Agreed, let's not split hairs any longer.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:04 PM

-
Old 05-01-2005, 06:20 PM

FlOat...You certainly come off as an aspiring, albiet condescending, gunner. I'm sure you can understand that 4 weeks at Stone Bay makes you better trained than many, but far from an expert in the community. Drop the "I'm with a Scout/Sniper Platoon" attitude and deal in facts.

Speaking of which, your definition of a sniper rifle is just silly. I certainly would not call my Weatherby Vandguard subMOA a sniper rifle, even though it would appear to qualify given your definition.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:00 PM

Float

I'm a competitive Highpower service rifle shooter. I know a number of snipers. I know that just because you qual as a sniper you may or may not be good enough to become a precision team shooter. There is quite a bit of difference. Just an FYI.

Also as to the Barret not being a sub moa rifle. I've fired the Barret on more than a few occasions out to and past 1700M. FWIW it has always had the capability to easily hit human size targets at the mile mark and beyond. I"ve fired one 5 shot group at just under the mile mark off an old alice pack frame thats just under 8 inches. Thats not bad for a weapon considered not to be accurate.

All this whole thread is was a stupid, baited subject thats turned into a pissin match as expected.

Best of luck on school. Everyone of the MTU shooters I"ve talked with says not to worry, it doesn't take that much to qualify on the firing part. The rest of the course is very instructional on how to stay unseen, before and after.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:20 AM

ORIGINAL: rost495

I know that just because you qual as a sniper you may or may not be good enough to become a precision team shooter. There is quite a bit of difference.
Absolutely true. Just as someone who is a precision team shooter may or may not be good enough to make it as a (military) sniper.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:00 AM

ORIGINAL: rost495

All this whole thread is was a stupid, baited subject thats turned into a pissin match as expected.

rost495 -

Nice assumption! (wrong...but nice)

If you take a step down off you soapbox for a moment and look at the entire thread i think is what you will find is you stumbled into a hunting thread where someone (I) wanted to see how many hunters use bull barreled and acurate rifles not generally associated in hunting.

Look a little closer and you will see that it doesnt appear to be the hunters that are using this thread for a "pissin match". As for you to refer to it as a "stupid, baited subject" ...well thats your opinion. (And by seeing that its only 10 pages long i guess - well, you MUST be right!)

Try to lighten up and enjoy life a bit huh?
Old 05-02-2005, 05:31 PM

oldgrunt, I'll take your advice to heart and tone down. I'm more inclined though to say that your rifle can be considered a "sniper rifle." I know you remember that Hathcock used a Model 70 in Vietnam, which is what I use when I get time to hunt. Mine doesn't hold a subMOA, though. But if your rifle had all the ruggedness of the M40, would you be more inclined to consider it a possible "sniper rifle?" More inclined than say.. a factory Rem 700 that doesn't hold a MOA or less?

But, with that said, I'm not getting into another discussion about this, so I'm not even going to touch rost495's post.. but I read it, and I still stand by what I said, at least until a definition of a "sniper rifle" is published, because, I think a rifle holding a MOA or less is probably one of the best classifications that can be made, or at least that is what I was always taught, not from school, but from other hogs. I think you know probably better than anyone oldgrunt, that getting more than one hog to agree on anything is a pretty tough thing to do.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:19 PM

FlOat...many people before you have hugged a McMillan stock while punching paper at the Hathcock range or shooting color dot drills with SOTG at Stone Bay

Keep in mind that the hogs are giving you the hog perspective. It is very military oriented and M40-centric.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

My point has always been that to be classified a "sniper rifle" (and if you've noticed I've always put that in quotes, as it is a loose term), it has to hold a MOA or less. This is due to the precision nature of the job.
Horsesh!t!

More people have been killed by 'sniper' rifles that could barely hold 2 or 3 moa than all of the high precision sub moa rifles put together.

Having a sub MOA rifle doesn't make someone a sniper anymore than owning a 30-30 makes a person a hunter. The nut behind the trigger is much more important than any in front of it.

Quick Reply: sniper rifle for hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.