Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What about airguns? >

What about airguns?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What about airguns?

Old 04-08-2005, 12:21 PM

Default What about airguns?

Any of you folks have one? If so what do you hunt with it?

Old 04-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What about airguns?

I know a guy who killed a deer with an airgun. Shot it in the eye at 700 yards and dropped it like a bolt of lightning. He was using a Red Ryder custom chambered in .177-378 Weatherby Air Ultra Mag. And that makes it the bestest deer rifle ever, right?!

No, really...I SWEAR!!![8D]

Mike
Old 04-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seriously...when I was a kid I killed a lot of rabbits and starlings with a cheap .177cal Crosman pellet rifle. It was the kind you have to pump "10" times (yeah, right...try 25 times or more!). But pretty much after I got only enough to get a .22LR, and discovered CB Longs, I never really touched the pellet gun again. High performance air rifles don't really excite me when my 10/22 will exceed the performance of all but the most expensive air rifle for a fraction of the cost. Not to knock you or your interest, though. Better to be interested in airguns than no guns at all.

Mike
Old 04-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have an hw-97 in .177 that has had a maccari full power kit installed.I use it for ground squirrels,crows and magpies although a friend used it to kill a groundhog that was raiding his garden.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: driftrider

I know a guy who killed a deer with an airgun. Shot it in the eye at 700 yards and dropped it like a bolt of lightning. He was using a Red Ryder custom chambered in .177-378 Weatherby Air Ultra Mag. And that makes it the bestest deer rifle ever, right?!

No, really...I SWEAR!!![8D]

Mike
well since I am now grouped in with the band of misfits (i.e. Big and Drift) Ill add my cheesy comment for the day,........did you have a muzzlebrake on it???? And how bout that trigger?
Old 04-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

did you have a muzzlebrake on it????
I don't know, but he did yell
WHAT??!!
a lot! [8D]

Mike
Old 04-09-2005, 07:54 AM
DM

177cal Crosman pellet rifle. It was the kind you have to pump "10" times (yeah, right...try 25 times or more!).
You could have pumped it a hundred times!! Wouldn't make any difference though, as pump up rifles have a valve in them that bleeds all the extra air off once it's at a certain psi capacity.. (or bleeds of another way depending on the model)

At least you got some exercise!!! :&gt))

I have a few pellet rifles, the one i like best is an RWS 45. It will push one of the lighter pellets over 1,000 fps and is very accurate..

Drilling Man
Old 04-09-2005, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a RWS model 350 right now that I like alot. It shoots a .177 pellet about 1200 FPS. The only problem is it is hard to coock especially w/ a broken arm. I have to hold it between my legs and use my one good hand to cock it, but it is one of the few guns I can shoot right now. I have a dislocated collarbone on my other shoulder. The nice thing about it is it doesn't make a lot of noise and you can shoot it places where you can't shoot a .22, and it does a real number on turtles in the pond.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could have pumped it a hundred times!! Wouldn't make any difference though, as pump up rifles have a valve in them that bleeds all the extra air off once it's at a certain psi capacity.. (or bleeds of another way depending on the model)
Yeah, I know that now, but I was like 7 or 8 years old at the time and didn't know any better. We THOUGHT that baby was screamin though!

Mike