Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Stock wood

Old 03-05-2005, 06:13 PM

Default RE: Stock wood

As a Custom rifle builder let me put my two cents worth in. It takes a lot of time to make a good stock, and a lot of work so do not skimp on the wood!!!! For the most part it takes just as long to make a good stock out of plane wood as it does out of the nice stuff. If you are going to put the effort in then use a blank thea will give you something worth your effort.
I do not know your abilities but there is much more to making a stock then a piece of furniture, I am not knocking your tallents but there are differences and they spell the difference between splinters and a nice stock! If you have some questions feel free to call me at 207-938-3595
Old 03-05-2005, 09:17 PM

Well, knocking talents requires I have some, no?? Haha, joking aside, I'd take any help and opinions I could get.

I can sand, I can route, I can drill, I can saw, I can chistle, I can carve to a limited amount, I can plane, I can nail, I can glue, I can Roto-zip and I cancopy the stock that the rifle will come with.

Now, if I need to learn do do anything not mentioned above, please do let me know.

I could probably take this wood:
http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Mer...ode=Chakte_Kok

Then I would epoxy (with the correct epoxy) three pieces of suitable size, with the middle pieces' grain a different direction for strength.

Then I would procede to cut out the close, general shape of the finnished product. Then I would progress to smaller and smaller means of sculpting untill I got what I wanted. Then I would treat it with a sealer, whatever one that suits the perticular wood I was using.

And of course I would likely make a pine "dummey" for practice.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:48 PM

I might add that if anyone knows of a stock/stock maker that would be as red as in the picture on the previous page, or dark red with black streaks, please let me know.

The colors I'm going to be looking for are something like this picture.

Old 03-06-2005, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are several places that makes stock blanks. I cant remember any of there names or web sites, if you are gonna make it yourself thats what I would get . The one I looked at had great looking laminated blanks in almost every color. Good luck I might look to see if I can find them angin
Old 03-06-2005, 10:10 AM

Thank you, I would apriciate that.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out this site www.rifle-stocks.com
Old 03-06-2005, 07:59 PM

Thank you. I also found this site last night : http://www.reamerrentals.com/woods_colors.htm
Old 03-06-2005, 09:01 PM

There are a lot of ads out there from wood suppliers. Walnut is always a good bet,and you can buy just blanks from them also. They figure out the least amount when they cut the blanks out,so just buy one and go form there. vangunsmith