Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 NEF single-shot? >

NEF single-shot?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

NEF single-shot?

Old 02-23-2005, 10:24 PM

Default NEF single-shot?

OK, so after borrowing my brother-in-law's .243 for a couple of hunts, I'm hooked. At least I think I'm hooked. After driving to San Ygnasio and filling feeders in 110 degree heat just to see spikes and does in the winter, I might just stick to fishing.

So, I'm starting to buy stuff. After 1001 opinions, I've decided on a .270. But, there is a problem, I'm a lefty. So much for picking something off the rack. A friend is a gun collecter and a long time hunter and he suggested a NEF single-shot. It's way cheaper than a Rem 700 and it is minimal investment for my first full season. My Brother-in-law got his .243 in stainless and synthetic because he hunts in anything: rain, ice, his underwear (he is a bit...strange). He doesn't want to worry about rust or messing up a finish. There's not much of a price difference between the prices of a NEF .270 (stripped down model and SS/stainless).

The question: has anyone actually shot one of these???? I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I don't want a rifle that will kick like a mule and shoot around corners, if you know what I mean. Your opinions and thought would be appreciated.

Regards,
Don VanDeLinder
Old 02-24-2005, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NEF single-shot?

I haven't shot the 270 but have it in 30-06 and 45-70 and can't complain about the kick with either one of them . The accuract isn't bad either .
Old 02-24-2005, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a .243 bull barrel nef and I really like mine . Its fun to shoot and accurate for what it cost.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:49 PM

They are excellent rifles for the $. A great first rifle, lots of personality, too. I have a H&R Ultra in .308 that is my main hunting rifle. It's nice and light to carry all day long and shoots better than I do. It's shorter than most bolt rifles so it clears limbs easily. And because I didn't spend $$$ I won't be so upset if I manage to drop it or get a scratch. Solid, reliable, and unique. Buy one and you too will become a "Handi-Holic."
Old 02-27-2005, 04:00 PM

The NEF 12 ga slug can kick like an angry mule but I highly douht that a .243 will kick very hard. Keep in mind that the handi-rifle is a very light gun an is inherently going to kick a little bit more than a bench rest gun that weights 10 pounds or more. If you're worried go with a bull barrel. It's heavier but the recoil beast will be tamed.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are exactly right max it tames it to allow my 12 year old daughter to shoot it. And i must say she is a very good shot.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:30 PM

I have a NEF single shot in 243. Not bad but the winchester 80 grain varmint bullet shells expanded and jammed in my barrel. I am also a lefty i have that NEF and a Remington 7600 in 270. I like the pump action because it doesnt matter if you are lefty or righty.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

I picked up my new Buffalo classic off layaway a couple days ago. Thats the 32 inch barrel 45-70. I am going to try it in the Quigley shoot this spring. I love the NEF rifles. I have seven of them with one still on layaway. I am a Handi- Holic.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

James I have that buffalo classic and it is a fun rifle to shoot. Marbles makes a flip up sight that works really well on them
Old 02-28-2005, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Which Marbles sight do you have and where did you get it? I know I will have to change the sights for long range shooting. Did you have to change the front sight as well? I havs been shooting the Handi rifle version for a long time but finally gave in and bought the Classic to try the Quigly shoot in Montana in June.

Quick Reply: NEF single-shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.