Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Best Rifle Barrels and why >

Best Rifle Barrels and why

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best Rifle Barrels and why

Old 02-17-2005, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Best Rifle Barrels and why

Who makes the best hunting barrels Hart,SHilen,Douglas,Krieger,Schneider,Pacnor did I miss any? Thanks
Old 02-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Best Rifle Barrels and why

I have had some guns rebarreled but not to many. I have used Douglas barrels a few times. However most of by rebarrel jobs were done by E.R. Shaw. I don't know what barrels they use or if they make their own. I do know that they have always done good work and provided a very good shooting barrel. The Douglas barrels that I have used (Silhouette Guns) have been outstanding.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:01 PM
bigcountry

I have had a douglas, and currently have a rifle with the Krieger. But feel the krieger could be smoother. They cut thier rifling not like the rest. You can see the grai where they cut it also. I feel it makes it a tad rougher than it should be.

Next plan for a Dan lilja or Shilen. Just don't know anyone with experience with Hart.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have owned barrels by hart,schneider,kreiger,pac-nor,mclennon and gaillard.All were very accurate but the gaillard and schneider seemed to foul less than the others.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I read a article a while back where a fellow has tested many barrels, and his favorite factory barrel maker is Douglas. His favorite custom barrel maker is Morrison Precision. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Anyone ever heard of Spencer Barrels? They are located in Southern Virginia. NOw they have a very interesting website. BC you may like that site a lot. http://spencerriflebarrels.com/
Old 02-18-2005, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Next plan for a Dan lilja or Shilen. Just don't know anyone with experience with Hart
My Gunsmith uses them and Douglas ..My buddy has a beanfield 280 built with one and it is very accurate although not any more so then his Douglas barrelled guns. For what its worth
Old 02-18-2005, 08:56 AM
bigcountry

I guess my only issue with Douglas, is I used to live beside the factory when I went to colleg and knew a guy who worked there. I don't know if I would have let him be dog catcher. He got me to get a douglas barrel on a 270 and ended up being a nightmare. The rifling was boogered up in the middle. And the only way I could see it was with a borescope. Hense my like for borescopes. They made it right in a jiffy. But once bitten and all.

Also, I have talked to alot of gunsmiths all over the east coast and a few said they would rebarrel anything but a douglas. One is my gunsmith in Westminster, MD, the other, you know oldelk. So I went with krieger. I liked the single cut idea. But my gunsmith made a 300RUM at the same time while building mine with a Dan Lilja. It fouls alot less than mine. And under a borescope, it looks like a mirror. I know also fouling has alot to do with the chamber job. So who knows. Overall I am happy with Krieger.

Old 02-18-2005, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Also, I have talked to alot of gunsmiths all over the east coast and a few said they would rebarrel anything but a douglas. One is my gunsmith in Westminster, MD, the other, you know oldelk. So I went with krieger. I liked the single cut idea. But my gunsmith made a 300RUM at the same time while building mine with a Dan Lilja. It fouls alot less than mine. And under a borescope, it looks like a mirror. I know also fouling has alot to do with the chamber job. So who knows. Overall I am happy with Krieger
There you go again stirring the pot . I have zip problems with Douglas barrels and I have heard equally nightmarish claims about almost every single barrel maker. In my experience I have had more gunsmiths that use them and like them then those that don't use them, Ie NULA. They are almost if not the same price as everyone else and once in a while one bad one slips out. Heck didn't you hear the story that no ones barrel is good enough for Kenny Jarrett and when he had a bad one he sawed the rifle in half. Now he makes his own barrels BTW I have little regard for most East Coast Gunsmiths.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:11 AM
bigcountry

Hey, as long as they build me what I ask, and put my shots into little holes, I am happy.

I may be wrong, but it seems you already knew what you want before asking this question? Maybe stirrin a little

So let me ask you, if you had trouble with one, and while researching haveing one built, you got complaints on only one vendor. Would you be be leary?

Quick Reply: Best Rifle Barrels and why

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.