Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 rifle scope reticles >

rifle scope reticles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rifle scope reticles

Old 02-08-2005, 02:17 PM

Default rifle scope reticles

I'm looking for a rifle scope that has at least 6-20 power (preferably both higher numbers), 40 - 50 mm, A.O. (do they all go down to ten yrds. or so?), new or good condition used, and less than $200. So far, this is no problem, right?

But I can't find a reticle that I like - my eyesight isn't what it used to be - seems the dots are all too small, or the crosshairs are all too big!

Red dots don't seem come in the power that I want, and they seem to be a pretty big dot anyway, and a lot of crosshairs I've seen are too big.

I did see something they called a 1/4 mao dot with no crosshairs, but if the dot was twice the size (or a little bigger) and if it had fine crosshairs it'd be perfect!

Any help or advice with this will be greatly appreciated - thanks!
Old 02-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: rifle scope reticles

You sure are wanting a lot from a scope for less than $200.

What are you going to be using this scope on and for what intended purpose?
Old 02-09-2005, 09:35 PM

bigbulls,

Thanks for the reply. Well, I was hoping under $200. It's to use on a .22 for target shooting. Not too serious. And maybe some varmints.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am assuming a .22 rim fire?

When you start getting into the magnification range you are talking about things start to get pricey real quick. They are not exactly clear at close ranges that you would be shooting and would actually be a hinderance at rimfire ranges.

They aren't exactly a longe range round so any of the "normal" powered scopes should serve you very well. You are only looking at shooting to about 50 yards or so. You should also get a scope specifically made for a rimfire rifle. The paralax will be set to 50 yards for a clear and crisp sight picture up close.

Simmons makes the 22 mag line of scopes whick should work nicely for you. They are available in 4X and 3-9X. They should come in well under $200.00
SIMMONS

Bushnell also offers a line of scopes made for the rimfire shooter. They are also available in 4X and 3-9X. Again they should come in well under $200.00
BUSHNELL

Either of these two lines of scopes should get you everything you need for a recreational rimfire shooter. They are both water proof, fog proof, and the lenses are multi coated.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:56 AM
Typical Buck

Sportsmans Guide has just what you are looking for.

It's a Barska, I think 4x16x50 with the lighted reticle. I use one and another one in the next higher power. You want the one that is 4x16x50. The light is adjustable with a reostat and I love mine. Just a little tiny glowing red dot and the AO adusts way down. I've made head shots on squirrels with it from 20 to 150 yards.

It's about $80 and comes with a set of rings.