Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 what do u think? >

what do u think?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what do u think?

Old 02-07-2005, 11:42 AM

Default what do u think?

i have a H&R shingle shot shotgun (12ga)i am think about giving it to my 11 year old brother for his first deer gun and upland has a little bit of a kick but he can handle it so should i give him this or my .30-30 lever action which is a wonderful gun but i fear it wont have enogh take down power for where we live (our privet land in vermont ) most of your shots would be at close rang but there is alot of powerlines that we hunt on also i fear that it might be a little to intimidating for him in close rang. please give a response about my crises plz[:@]
Old 02-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what do u think?

The 12 gauge and the 30-30 are both adequate deer guns at close ranges, the key is to use what shoots and fits best for each of you.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:47 PM

.308 rules
Old 02-07-2005, 05:48 PM

7mm mag
Old 02-07-2005, 05:48 PM

45-70
Old 03-04-2005, 08:02 PM

be a good big bro and hook him up with both, and he will decide witch he likes and uses. both are adiquate for deer.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

The .30-30 has accounted for countless numbers of fallen game. The gam hasn't gotten any tougher so the classic cartridges will still do the job. Being an 11yo, keeping his shots in close/moderate ranges will likely help him control his anxiety and allow clean shots.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:03 AM

Take him out shooting both and let him which gun he would rather use in deer season and not tell him he will get to keep it. I have a 12 year old brother who for last deer season I took out to the range with the brand new .270 I just bought and a .30-30 I had and told him he could use which ever gun he wanted to use. I didn't thell him that if he shot a deer he could keep it. Put less stress on the shot just let him be calm and make it.

To make a long story short he didn't get a deer. So for x-mass I went out and bought him a NEF 12ga. and put it in my tree stand box so he couldnt guess it. His b-day is Jan 31 so I had a box of shells behind me and when he opened it and got all excited I said happy b-day and gave him the shells.

You cant get your first gun with out a box of shells. lol I would say give him the one that he is more comfortable with but all and all the .30-30 can't be beat for shots with-in a 100yards. It has been killing deer for over 100 years. Once it is dead its dead.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:40 PM

The H&R single shot is one heck of a great value for it's money. I own one with 4 different barrels. I can hunt deer with the rifled slug, birds with the interchangable choke smoothbore, rabbit's and squirrels with the .22lr, and coyotes out to 250 with the .223 bull barrel. Face it, your little boy is only going to get good if he practices and you can afford him doing a lot of practice with the .22LR. The single shot is going to teach him to make every single shot count. He'll apreciate that when he's older.
Don't worry about the 30-30's power. It's got plenty for any deer you'll ever meet. I keep telling people that it still has more energy at 300 yards than a .357 magnum pistol at the muzzle.