Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Too much gun? >

Too much gun?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Too much gun?

Old 01-28-2005, 05:13 PM

Default RE: Too much gun?

biggun

Go to the ablve site, click on firearms, the 14th picture down from the top shows a gun that dominates the entire wall. It's a TWO (2) gauge goose gun. Now boys that gun can do more damage to the shooter than a whole gaggle of enraged geese. That is definetly TOO much gun.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

M.T. Sign me up for one of them there trucks..I gots to have it!!!
i'm close i checked my mpg the other day and came up w 36mpg, havent tried the 150 mph deal yet[:-], oh yea just incase you don't believe my mpg i'm getting these are my figures, 3 in town and 6 on the road thats 36 mpg right, my wife said it was 9, i hope she's kiddin.

btw james i'll be checkin winchesters web site daily, let me know if you hear anything, i'd be real interested
Old 02-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: jmfa1957

In my own deservedly humble opinion, any gun that the shooter cannot shoot well due to excessive recoil or muzzle blast is "too much gun." Better to hit a hog behind the ear with a .243 than to miss a hog with a .416 Rigby, or worse yet, wound it and lose it.

Better still, however, to hit it squarely where you want to with that .416 Rigby! If you can manage the recoil of a big boomer, power to ya. I've never tried anything bigger than the .30-06 to 8x57 class rifles, but someday I'd like to try one of the big calibers.

I do feel very strongly that the NEED for magnum calibers is overstated by gun writers who need to put shoes on their kids feet, and by arms manufacturers who need to do the same. I see nothing at all wrong with accumulating a variety of different and interesting rifles in a variety of different and interesting calibers, but I do feel it is wrong to insist that you NEED a magnum rifle when we've taken millions of head of game with boring old calibers like .243, .25-06, .270, .30-30, .308 .30-06 etc. and so on. Shot placement is always the key to a humane kill. A more powerful gun is just a bit more forgiving for a slightly misplaced shot.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, at least until I have saved enough for my .458 WinMag.

Well said jmfa1957....Well said!
Old 02-26-2005, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

he stated that all you need for hogs is a little old .222.
He was right of course.....but it's not worth the arguement.....
Old 02-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

this might be of interest
Old 02-26-2005, 05:16 PM

Whose to say your gun is too large? Perhaps the game is to small?

RA
Old 02-27-2005, 03:08 AM

ORIGINAL: m.t.hands

M.T. Sign me up for one of them there trucks..I gots to have it!!!
i'm close i checked my mpg the other day and came up w 36mpg, havent tried the 150 mph deal yet[:-], oh yea just incase you don't believe my mpg i'm getting these are my figures, 3 in town and 6 on the road thats 36 mpg right, my wife said it was 9, i hope she's kiddin.

btw james i'll be checkin winchesters web site daily, let me know if you hear anything, i'd be real interested
Everybody knows 3 times 6 is 18 which is just about all you can expect from a truck. [:-]
Old 02-27-2005, 03:14 PM

"Too much gun" depends upon what you're hunting and how you are as a shooter. If you can shoot the eye out of rabbit at 100 yards then by all means shoot whatever you want. Not too many people eat the head. But if you're making a body shot you probably don't want to eat what a .338 left. It's an extreme example but you get my point. I'm not bothered by recoil but I still don't shoot any more than a 30-30 on deer. It leaves lots of meat still intact and kills the deer quick enough. If I'm hunting something with teeth and claws and an appetite for human flesh than I bring the big bores out to play.