HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Too much gun?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Rebel Hog
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Too much gun?

ORIGINAL: jmfa1957

In my own deservedly humble opinion, any gun that the shooter cannot shoot well due to excessive recoil or muzzle blast is "too much gun." Better to hit a hog behind the ear with a .243 than to miss a hog with a .416 Rigby, or worse yet, wound it and lose it.

Better still, however, to hit it squarely where you want to with that .416 Rigby! If you can manage the recoil of a big boomer, power to ya. I've never tried anything bigger than the .30-06 to 8x57 class rifles, but someday I'd like to try one of the big calibers.

I do feel very strongly that the NEED for magnum calibers is overstated by gun writers who need to put shoes on their kids feet, and by arms manufacturers who need to do the same. I see nothing at all wrong with accumulating a variety of different and interesting rifles in a variety of different and interesting calibers, but I do feel it is wrong to insist that you NEED a magnum rifle when we've taken millions of head of game with boring old calibers like .243, .25-06, .270, .30-30, .308 .30-06 etc. and so on. Shot placement is always the key to a humane kill. A more powerful gun is just a bit more forgiving for a slightly misplaced shot.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, at least until I have saved enough for my .458 WinMag.

Well said jmfa1957....Well said!