Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sabots

Old 01-25-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Sabots

Why do sabots cost so much? How come remington buck hammer cost $8 for five and it's only lead? I've also notice the companies make their slow (1350-1550) slugs the cheap ones and the higher cost ones have less lead. How come they don't make a high velocity sabot slug that's cheap? I don't need no sluggish 1 1/4 oz. slug like the buckhammer. And all the other cheaper sabots are low recoil.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Sabots

Check out Lightfield sabots and slugs

http://www.lightfieldslugs.com
Old 01-25-2005, 08:39 PM

I dont care too much about the price of sabots..i probably shoot about 15 per year, so 30 bucks worth..it would be great if they were cheap, but i dont care. i dislike the lighfields becaues they expand too much and don't exit. my uncle's buddy shoots them and they kill deer, but i would rather have two holes than one. any of the slugs will kill a deer, just gotta hit them in the chest area. you could probably hit a deer most anywhere in the body and it would go down with a slug. I am in no way endorsing this practice, but i think a slug anywhere in the body to a deer will eventually kill it. I like the remington coppersolids the best, as they shoot awesome through my gun and i've seen alot of deer killed with them. Winchester Partition Golds cost a fortune but work sweet, as do federal barnes expanders. whatever works best in your gun. dont worry about price. i mean, why worry about the cost of ammo when you tally up everythign else you buy, its pretty minuscle.

slayer
Old 01-26-2005, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Remington 11-87 rifled barrel slug gun loves the Lightfields!!!! I took a bear at 50yds. back in December 2003, with a complete pass thru.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:24 AM
bigcountry

Lightfields cost alot too.

I am not sure about why they are so expensive, but I bet its the volumn that are sold. Not like 270wins and 30-06 ammo. Also, might be more labor intensive to build. I would like to find out however.

Old 01-27-2005, 03:54 PM

Sabots might be expensive, BUT i use 2 per year, it takes an idiot to miss with them if the gun is sighted in correctly, they shoot like a rifle til 120+yds.
2 shots from my slug gun=2 kills, by the time you miss several times with rifled slugs, you could have payed for one sabot that wouldnt miss.

I also really like the remington Copper-Solids, they shoot reeeally nice even with just open sights.

Spend the extra couple dollars for the sabots, it will pay off.

Mat
Old 02-04-2005, 05:27 PM

You hit it on the head bigcountry , I talked to a guy at Winchester and he said the price was so high because of the low volum sold. I guess it makes sence......in a way.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Hello BuckMaster7,

Have you ever tried Winchester BRI's? Back in the 60's Mossberg and Ballistic Researh Institute of California teamed up
for extensive testing.They are accurate! I have been shooting them for along time.I think BRI sold to Winchester. I have tried
to contact BRI, to no availe.Try them and see how they work for you. Good Luck!

KEEP ON ROOTING!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 07:00 AM

I'am shooting a Ithaca 16 gauge fully rifled & Lightfield sabots cost me $12 bucks for 5, They reach out to 125 yards with Some accurcy, But use regular Rifled slugs more often, Because My shots are usually within 50 yrds.........Nice looking , Great shooting gun, But Cost to much to shoot using correct sabots......Gonna sell it & buy a muzzleleader, Mossberg has a Nice 50 cal/ 12 gauge Combo kit out in the Model 500, Cant go wrong there.......
Old 02-26-2005, 07:24 AM

BUT i use 2 per year, it takes an idiot to miss with them if the gun is sighted in correctly, they shoot like a rifle til 120+yds.
How would you know if your gun was properly sighted in? If you are only shooting 2 per year? I always check the zero of my slug gun before deer season. A lot can happen during the off season. And the last thing I want, is to NOT know where my slug will impact at any given distance. And their is more to missing than being an idiot. Wind, obstructions you can't see, and of course your own nerves. I guess under your thoughts, if a guy gets buck fever, and misses, he is an idiot.
JMHO