Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Whats bragging and whats real? >

Whats bragging and whats real?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Whats bragging and whats real?

Old 08-31-2002, 08:14 PM

Default Whats bragging and whats real?

Hey all.I'm a "silent watcher" on this forum. This is my first year hunting. I've seen guys talk about getting 1\2 " groups @ 200 yards.I just bought a Tikka 30-06 and I can't get any better than 1" @ 100 yards. Is that ok for a new shooter? I see some posts and I almost have to catch my breath. Are some of these guys full of crap or can you realy get a half " group @ 200 yards? I'll be watching. (dove tommorrow-watch out)(ain't never shot a livin thing.)
Old 08-31-2002, 08:46 PM
Host of Hosts

Default RE: Whats bragging and whats real?

Hello and welcome to the board. To address your question
about a 1 inch group at 100 yards being good. Yes it is! If you
can shoot that consistently your doing just fine. As far as shooting
1/2 inch groups at 200 yards?? Not too many people can do this regularly. I think some folks tend to exaggerate a bit. But it can, and is done by some very good shooters.

SUPPORT YOUR SPORT
JOIN THE NRA

Old 08-31-2002, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the board "Silent Watcher". Don't sit on the side line. Jump right in.If you're shooting 1"@100 yards you are doing fine.Allot depends on the firearm, ammunition, and the shooters skill(ability).There can be two identical rifles and both shoot differently. One might like one bullet weight and the other might want a heavier or lighter bullet.Like F4YG said 1/2"@ 200 yards is possible and done on occasions.These are usually shooters with handloads that have worked up loads for that particular rifle.These guns may have been rebarreled with a better grade. The barrels may have been glass bedded in to a high quality custom stock. Weather conditions can effect the flight of a bullet.There are so many things that can determine the accuracy. If you're getting 1" groups with an out of the box rifle you are doing well.In all makes and models you'll have tack drivers and some that could use major improvement in their accuracy. Ruger Redhawk

Support the NRA...Protecting our Gun Rights and Freedoms is everybody's responsibility. Ruger Redhawk A proud NRA Life Member since 1977.
Old 08-31-2002, 10:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you are getting 1" groups you are doing much better than average.There are hunting rifles that can consistantly shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards but most of these have custom barrels or have much better than average factory barrels.Almost all are shooting handloads.I can not honestly say that I have seen anyone that can consistantly shoot 1/2" groups at 200 yards with a hunting rifle and hunting loads.I have shot groups at 100 yards that were under 1/4" but they are by far the minority as even with my custom rifles and handloads I am happy if I average 1/2" at 100 yards and around 1" at 200 yards.
Old 09-01-2002, 03:37 AM

1/2" at 200 yards, take a lot of control in breathing and noooooo caffine.if your getting 1" groups your doing Great,and have nothing to worry about.

welcome to the board,just jump in any time you feel the need.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 09-01-2002, 04:26 AM

You need to take some of the reported group sizes here with several large grains of salt. If you have a hunting gun that will stay around an inch at 100 then its a dang good one. When I hear someone say their gun averages 1" at 100, then I know that they are getting some groups in the 1/2" range too. Either that or they are just reporting the best three shot group they have ever shot, and calling that the "average". I think most folks base their rifles' accuracy on a couple of three shot groups that happen to be the best ever. I have met people over the years that have told me they have this and that rifle that will average .5 or .75 or something, but every time I have got one of them to sit down at the bench with me and shoot four five shot groups or six or seven three shot groups, their "average" was at least twice what they said it would be. Shooters tend to be a little proud of their rifles and too optomistic at times concerning the average group size. I heard a quote that goes, "there are three kinds of lies, regular lies, damn lies, and statistics". You should be very happy with your 1" rifle. It has been my experience that if you have a particular load that will stay inside 1", then about 80% or your shots will be landing inside 3/4" which for a hunting gun is a rare and wonderful thing.

Old 09-01-2002, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Luny...Welcome and congratulations on a 1" group. There are a lot of fellas that can't get that with their guns.

I deer hunt with a 270 that shoots 2" groups at 100 yards, and I am happy with that. For hunting purposes, that suits me fine. On the other hand, I have a 223 that I tinker with constantly to get smaller groups. Can I shoot a 1/2" group at 200 yards with it?? Heck no. That's unattainable for most.

I do believe there are some folks/guns that can CONSISTENTLY shoot 1/2" at 200, but I personally would have to see it to believe it. I have done it before...but the following group was probably over 2". LOL

Old 09-01-2002, 10:01 AM

Most 1/2" groups at 200 yards are luck. You'll find a lot of folks tend to stretch the truth about group size. A rifle that shoots 1/4" groups at 100 yards will in theory shoot 1/2" groups at 200 yards, but conditions have to be ideal. By that I mind no wind, etc. I've shot 1/2" groups at 200 yards with some of my heavy barrels and I've shot benchrest for years, but those groups aren't the norm.

Both my Tikkas will shoot 1/2" at 100 yards with select handloads, but shoot in the 1" range with better factory loads. I'd consider 1" with most factory loads as excellent from any sporter weight rifle.
Old 09-01-2002, 10:02 AM

Most 1/2" groups at 200 yards are luck. You'll find a lot of folks tend to stretch the truth about group size. A rifle that shoots 1/4" groups at 100 yards will in theory shoot 1/2" groups at 200 yards, but conditions have to be ideal. By that I mind no wind, etc. I've shot 1/2" groups at 200 yards with some of my heavy barrels and I've shot benchrest for years, but those groups aren't the norm.

Both my Tikkas will shoot 1/2" at 100 yards with select handloads, but shoot in the 1" range with better factory loads. I'd consider 1" with most factory loads as excellent from any sporter weight rifle.
Old 09-01-2002, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the board, and by all means don't stay silent. Your 1" gun will do you fine. When most people say that they are at 1" grps at 200 yds they are either full of it or they actually invested the time to become that good. I have an 06 with a lightweight barrel that I just can't get under 1.5" grps, while with my 307 I get between .75 and 1.25" consistantly don't make sense to me either. The quality of the gun, optics, ammunition and shooter as well as the weather all come into play with shots like that. Now shooting at paper that didn't move was fun lets put a deer that knows your out there and ...

Quick Reply: Whats bragging and whats real?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.