Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 One more question. >

One more question.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

One more question.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:44 AM

Default One more question.

What is the larges animal a .44 magnum can take down without much trouble.
I'm thinking a .44 can take down any North American big game, but I'm probably wrong again, where would you stop using a .44 mag and go a step up to high power?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2005, 12:51 AM

Default RE: One more question.

Shot placement............Many people carry 44mag rugers in bear country as back ups.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you hunting them or is the 44 mag for self defense only, or just want to know what it will take down?

I think it take or drop anything in n, America or the world-(if you stick it up close to there head& fire).

It has plenty of power for most things i think but a limited range( the fat,heavy bullets have plenty of power, but lose speed, vel,&energy
& drop fairly quick.

Me personaly if im going after brown, grizzly bears im taking a good caliber rifle - & a 44 mag as a back up as the other poster said.

Do you use bait huntin liberals?Some live in the trees& call themself ,willow& white doe& star raven etc ?
It could be there parents where hari krishnas or hippi,s who expermented with strange drugs.[&:]
Or maybe all those nuk tests in the past?
Old 01-12-2005, 03:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Although it would not be the best for the job, you are right. The 44 Mag has taken all the NA big game species.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

at the right ranges with good shot placement it will take all north american game. i would not what to try it though.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:32 PM

I was having this discussion at work today. Thought Id point something out if you dont already know. In terms of muzzle energy a .44 mag runs in the neighbor hood of about 1000 Ft/lbs. That lots for a pistol, but in comparision a 50 grain bullet out of a .223 rifle comes in at about 1250 Ft/lbs and a 150 grain in an 30-06 gives you about 2800 ft lbs. Now bullet design and weight play a big part in performance on game, but if you look at sheer energy, a .44 mag doesnt hardly show up on the radar if you are comparing it to rifles cartridges.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

A 44 mag is very close to being on par with a 50 caliber muzzle loader firing the same weight bullets. Depending on who you talk to and how they load their ML's the 44 mag is right there with them and even surpasses some of them.

I know darn good and well that a 50 caliber ML is plenty capeable of taking anything you would want to.