HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Controlled round Feed vs Push Feed
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2005, 08:22 AM
Solitary Man
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Controlled round Feed vs Push Feed

With me I guess it depends on what kind of push feed rifle it is. I don't like Remington 700's at all. I've had trouble in the past with that puny little extractor and I'm not too crazy about a plunger ejector either. The safety leaves a lot to be desired also in my opinion.

My push feed Sako 75's are a different story, though. These are my favorite rifles. The Sako style extractor has never given me any problems and I like the fact that these rifles have a fixed blade ejector instead of a plunger. I'm also fond of the shorter bolt lift due to the 3 lug design. This gives you plenty of clearance between the bolt handle and the scope.

Speaking of the Sako style extractor, I find it interesting that this type of extractor is not called a Mauser style extractor. The reason I say that is because Mauser used this same type extractor in their model 1891 way before Sako came along.

Anyway, I also own a CRF pre-64 Model 70. For the kind of hunting I do the CRF is certainly not necessary, but I do like that big claw extractor and fixed ejector. There is one thing about this rifle I wish I could change, though. If I could I'd give it a shorter bolt lift like the Sakos. The bolt handle just comes too close to the scope for my liking, but I can live with it I guess.