Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

encore

Old 01-07-2005, 02:23 PM

Default encore

This is just a general question but what exactly is the difference between the contender and the encore? because they look almost exactly the same.

One more question, someone told me that you can convert the encore rifle into a handgun but exchanging the buttstock with the handgun grip and buying a handgun barrel and forend, is this true?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:39 PM

Default RE: encore

The Encore is a beefed up Contender, basically. T/C made the frame larger and stronger to handle higher intensity cartridges. Just like the Contender you can change calibers by changing barrels and can by replacing the stocks configure it to be either rifle or pistol. Barrels are not interchangeable between the Encore and Contender however. Also the Encore does not have a switch on the hammer to shoot either center or rim fire. So the Encore can only shoot center fires. Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

the encore is just better
Old 01-08-2005, 03:18 AM

yes the Encore is a heavier stronger action that can handle the 50,000psi loads, but the contender still has it's place too... both are fine guns... and yes an Encore will swing both ways, rifle to pistol and back... as with anything else that's good for us or fun to do there are laws against changing a rifle into a pistol... ya ain't SUPPOSED to do it... but in 30 years of messing with Contenders and Encores I've never had anyone question what it started out as vs. what it was on that particular day... guess it's sorta the old "don't ask/don't tell" policy... the Encore sure is a nice system with all the different calibers available now... got 10 barrels in 8 different calibers/gauges for 2 actions... never short on a caliber for any situation... from ground hogs to grizzle bears...
Old 01-08-2005, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

never had a contender but love my encore
Old 01-11-2005, 12:20 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot both Contenders and Encores and both have their good points. Contenders are capable of shooting rimfire cartridges, where the Encore is centerfire only(with the exception of buying the adapter), but it can handle much higher pressure calibers. With the Encore, you can go from pistol to rifle to 12ga shotgun to muzzloader with just a switch of the barrel/forend and buttstock/pistol-grip. As for which one is better, it really depends on how "versitile" you need it to be.