Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 NEF Question. >

NEF Question.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

NEF Question.

Old 12-29-2004, 07:57 PM

Default NEF Question.

All righty... I've kinda been considering a NEF Handi- or Ultra- Rifle. I'm looking to get a woodchuck/coyote rifle (22-250 probably) and eventually a .25-06 barrel for whitetails. However, My buddy used to have one in .223 (w/ bull barrel) he bought brand new a few years ago, and it disgusted us. We tried everything and could'nt get it to shoot well, he ended up selling it after a few months. Shame too cause it would've been such a fun little rifle.
But most others I've talked to, and from what I've been reading on this forum, they are great shooters for the money. So I'm wondering... do these rifles need good handloads to shoot well? (I'm not a reloader)... Or did he just get a bad apple somehow? One other thought I've been playing with lately- he had a bi-pod on the gun, could perhaps that have caused our problems?
At any rate it just seems like such a neat gun, and I LOVE my parnder 12 guage... Should I give the NEF rifle a second chance?
Testamonials would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
PABigBore
Old 12-29-2004, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NEF Question.

IMO he may have got a bad 1 . The bipod should make no differance.
The 1 I have needed a trigger job but shoots great. It shot factory loads great.
The 22-250 should put a hurt on yotes and chucks.
I do all my load testing off a bench with sand bags ,so I am not a factor in the groups.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:25 PM

I am by no means an expert but I bought a NEF 223 a few days ago and shot it at the range the other day and was VERY impressed. I couldn't be happier with how well that gun shot.

I was shooting garbage ammo and using a POS 4X scope and I was still holding tight out past 100 yards. I have little doubt that with better quality ammo and good optics this gun will shoot accurately out to 200 yards.

The best part about the NEF I got was the trigger.......smooth as silk and nice and light.

The 223 will not be the last NEF Handi Rifle I own I can tell ya that.

Good Luck
Old 12-29-2004, 11:41 PM

Well, I shoot a Harrington/Richardson Ultra rifle, they all come from the same factory so I reckon their all the same anyhow. Mines in .243 caliber and for me, has shot wonderful. At first I was using core lokts with some pretty crappy shooting. They would up averaging around 4-6 inch groups. One day I wound up buying some 13$ winchester powerpoints, and amazingly enough, they shot into a 1inch group no problem. Kinda strange the cheapest ammo would work, but for me it shoots pretty well, especially when considering the price.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Must have got a bad one. Most of the 223 shoot very well. They do however shoot best with light bullets. 40-45 grain
Old 12-30-2004, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might have got a lemon , but they will work with you . I have a friend that had to send one back twice before they got it right but they did fix it .
Old 12-30-2004, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

My wife shot my sons .243 into a group that was easily covered with a dime from a bench at 50 yards ..... before you ask it's the range I want him at for now and she is a smaller stature so the youth model fits her better than me

Oh yeah it was federal ammo ... the low end ones 100grain