Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Tired of the 243 debate >

Tired of the 243 debate

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tired of the 243 debate

Old 12-24-2004, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tired of the 243 debate

Not near as tired as I am of people insisting on using their 22s on deer.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:28 AM

ya'll need to get away from behind those keyboards and get out and shoot something once in a while... instead of reading all these "experts" commentary... the 22-250 is quite adequate for deer in anyones hands that can place a shot where they want it... and has sense enough to know where to place it... the 243 is good for anything in the continental US that grows horn... if the 22 cal's and the 243 aren't what you're confident enough in your abilities to shoot then DO NOT sit and try to bash us that can use them with great results... the way ya'll sit and whine it's evident you wouldn't do as I do and shoot a 375H&H for deer either... eat right up to the hole... don't get the bloodshot meat like you do with the 243... that's just minimal for deer... lolol ya'll need to get out and shoot something other than the breeze...
Old 12-24-2004, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

well said rockfish. I have used a 22-250 on whitetails here in Texas with great results. I have used a 50 gr, hollow point and blown some big, big holes in them. To me the .30 calibers just pierce, no devestation like the smaller faster calibers.

Most people blame bad shots on the caliber, same with bowhunting and the fixed blade or expandables debate. They make a bad shot and they blame the expandable.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

All I wanna know is what kinda bullets are being used because unless it has been a direct broadside shot I have had sorry luck with quartering and angling shots with my 243. Case in point...tried to put one behind the ribcage on a deer quartering away....well it hit the back rib done a 90 degree turn went through guts and out in front of rear leg. Before you say its my shooting..I dont think a single rib should EVER stop a bullet and if it does..theres a problem somewhere. This was with a 100 gr Sierra Gameking Federal Premium load. Needless to say what should have been a slam dunk shot turned into an all day chase. That wasnt the only time something like that has happened. Most of my hunting is still hunting and I almost NEVER get a perfect broadside shot.

Im glad you guys like it and glad it works for you....it just doesnt for me.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats very hard to believe doedumper. I have used it many many times in every brand of bullet and have had no problems whatsoever. Dont take offense but it sounds like you just plain gut shot her. The tiny rib on a deer just aint gonna deflect a bullet to take a 90 degrre turn, sorry i aint buying that. It might deflect it say 10 degrees but it aint gonna do a u turn.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Thats very hard to believe doedumper. I have used it many many times in every brand of bullet and have had no problems whatsoever. Dont take offense but it sounds like you just plain gut shot her. The tiny rib on a deer just aint gonna deflect a bullet to take a 90 degrre turn, sorry i aint buying that. It might deflect it say 10 degrees but it aint gonna do a u turn.

90 degrees is not a U turn
Old 12-24-2004, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I just sat here and made it up... Sheesh why do i even bother......do you generally make a habit of calling complete strangers liars?

90 degrees is definitely NOT a u-turn.

With an answer like that i now reallize asking what kind of bullet used was far too difficult a question.......

Theres always some folks out there who would tow with a 4 cylinder just to say they did it....
Old 12-24-2004, 12:07 PM

It'll never end.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

do you generally make a habit of calling complete strangers liars?
just said i wasnt buying it.
lot of things can happen out there, I wasnt sitting in the stand with you. A deer could look like it was quartering but was more broadside than you thought, could have stepped just as you shot, lots of variables. I have shot a lot of deer with my bow and the ribs havent deflected the arrow that much. Just hard to believe.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:32 PM

90° is ½ way to a U turn... I'd a liked to see that, cause there has never been any problems with that exact load on anything I've shot with it... shoulders, ribs, backbones all shattered... that's why I have a hard time believing a short rib would deflect that bullet like that... not saying it didn't but...

Quick Reply: Tired of the 243 debate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.