Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail >

Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail

Old 12-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail

The TKO numbers are certainly no more of a Farse than your idea that velocity alone is the kill all answer. It is not. Its only a small part of the equation. The TKO is made up of bullet weight, bullet size and velocity.
Its a made up equasion using the size of the bullet to make big guns have a big TKO number. has nothing to do with anything. if I was some big whig magazine editor on guns I could make one up to, ya lets say
velocity divided by bullet diameter divided by inches of drop.
The one with the bigger number is a more proficient killer.
jeeez, (shakes his head and walks away)
Old 12-24-2004, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Its made up of bullet size in fractions of an inch, the weiths of the bullet in grains and the velocity of the bullet. The theory wont kill a thing unless you roll it up and swat a fly with it. It is and has been for many years, a way to compare one caliber or bullet size to another. No more or less tham comparing fps or lbs or m. e. Nobody I know is trying to belittle smaller cartridges by refering to TKO. All bullets would have a TKO however that alone means very little by its self No bullet weighting 2000 grains at a velocity of 50 fps is going to have much killing power. No bullet weighing 2 grains traveling at 10000 fps is going to either. Its when you combine sufficent bullet weight size and velocity that you get killing power or TKO or ME. You can't seperate the parts and come up with the whole.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:44 PM

Yep, the .204 will kill a deer, you can also pound a nail with a screw driver but it does tell somthing about ones I.Q. if they do so. Use the proper tool for the job and for deer hunting the .204 is not the right tool. I run into lots of people who want to see what is the smallest caliber they can use to kill deer. I think it is an ego problem. Lets look at this from a different view for a second. If you had to hunt from the ground, no tree stands, and deer had fangs and claws, and getting wounded tended to really piss them off and made them want to eat you, would you still want to use something like a .204? If a person is a conscious hunter then they use a cartridge which will ensure a clean kill and give a reasonable margin for error if things do not work out quite right.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is the .204 big enough for Whitetail? NO!
Neither are ANY of the .22's, from .22 short, on up to the .222 Swift! They are just not deer calibers! For those that are just "experimenting," or looking for a "challenge," why not just try a CO2 BB pistol! As others have said, "you can kill a deer with a screwdriver!"
While it is true that deer are not really that hard to kill, have a LITTLE respect for the fine game animals that Whitetail deer are! And if not for that, for the sake of the sport! There are anti's looking for ANY reason to get hunting banned! Why give them ANY ammo to use against us????!!!!!!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:43 PM

Gawd, you guys are wearing me out. Ditto to most everything MarkIIVT said.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its made up of bullet size in fractions of an inch, the weiths of the bullet in grains and the velocity of the bullet. The theory wont kill a thing unless you roll it up and swat a fly with it. It is and has been for many years, a way to compare one caliber or bullet size to another. No more or less tham comparing fps or lbs or m. e.
John Taylor, an african big game hunter made this formula up, Not Einstein, not Isacc Newton, John taylor... and he is who...... a nobody. This is his theory, its got nothing to do with physics whatsoever, FPS is actual physics, Energy is actual physics , TKO is nothing, just a theory made up by a nobody. Big Big difference.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yea. Right!!!! I am going for my overboots. Take your high velocity 204 and go on a polar bear hunt. Good Luck. I doubt your velocity theory will impress him much.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:02 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

I sure hope that the original question was posted in jest.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

James if your gonna say its not big enough, say something like it aing got enough energy, or its bullet is too small to create a big enough wound channel or the small bullet will probably fragmentate and not do the damage needed. Dont tell me it's not got enough TKO, what the heck is that. A TKO number of 10 is what ? 10 inches of wound ? nope. 10 lbs of flesh destroyed ? nope. 10 steps a deer will take before it dies ? Nope. 10 what then ? Understand what I am getting at. Its a made up formula, nothing physical like FPS or Energy.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

We are in the prescence of brilliance!!! Who says a wall never talks back....some even know everything!!

Quick Reply: Is the Ruger 204 Big enough for Whitetail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.