Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help adjusting open sites >

Help adjusting open sites

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help adjusting open sites

Old 11-21-2004, 05:27 PM

Default Help adjusting open sites

Hi. I am a long time reader of this forum, but I haven't posted much. I need some help. I have a Remington 870 with a rifle sight Hastings slug barrel. I have been having trouble adjusting the sights. I was sighting in at 50 yards. I have the left and right part adjusted right, but I can't get it to hit on vertically. Right now it hits about 4 inches above where I aim. From what I understand, that means I should turn the adjustment screw towards "Down". The problem is, it doesn't go any further in that direction.

So, what can I do? Am I even turning the screw the right way?
Old 11-21-2004, 05:39 PM

Default RE: Help adjusting open sites

ORIGINAL: markrs
Hi. I am a long time reader of this forum, but I haven't posted much. I need some help. I have a Remington 870 with a rifle sight Hastings slug barrel. I have been having trouble adjusting the sights. I was sighting in at 50 yards. I have the left and right part adjusted right, but I can't get it to hit on vertically. Right now it hits about 4 inches above where I aim. From what I understand, that means I should turn the adjustment screw towards "Down". The problem is, it doesn't go any further in that direction.
Easy part first; Are you turning the elevation adjustment screw the right way? Try the
other way, and see what happens. But, sounds like you're okay.

Now, what kind of front sight have you got? If it's a blade of some sort your option is to
file a little "off the top" to reduce the height of the blade. This must be done very carefully so as not to take too much off. Other option is to get a replacement front sight with lower/less height. Don't know if this is available for you - you may need to call the
company on it, and see what they suggest.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

WRONG!!!!!!!
If you want the gun to hit lower you either lower the rear sight or raise the front
Old 11-21-2004, 05:53 PM

If you are adjusting the front sight you want to raise it. If you are adjusting the back site you want to lower it.

At 50 yards 4" may be a little high but you will want to be high at 50 to optimize your point blank aiming range. Check the balistic tables for the slug you are using to know where you should be at 50 yards for a 100 yard zero.

Good Luck

johnch it appears we were sending the same message at about the same time
Old 11-21-2004, 06:14 PM

thanks for the replies. I am adjusting the rear site. the front sight is a sort of round bead, so I don't think I want to file it. What I'm hearing is that I have to move the rear sight down. Thats sort of what I thought, but it won't go that direction any further.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:52 PM
DM

rear sight DOWN, or get a TALLER front sight!! That's your two options.

Have you shot it at 75 or 100 yards to see where it is??? It may be good enough where it is now.

Drilling Man
Old 11-22-2004, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Virginia7

ORIGINAL: markrs
Easy part first; Are you turning the elevation adjustment screw the right way? Try the
other way, and see what happens. But, sounds like you're okay.

Now, what kind of front sight have you got? If it's a blade of some sort your option is to
file a little "off the top" to reduce the height of the blade. This must be done very carefully so as not to take too much off. Other option is to get a replacement front sight with lower/less height. Don't know if this is available for you - you may need to call the
company on it, and see what they suggest.

IF your shotgun is still shooting HIGH with the rear sight down as far as it will go, you will HAVE TO PUT A TALLER FRONT SIGHT BLADE ON IT!! Then sight it in again!
Old 11-27-2004, 09:10 AM

If you can't find a higher front sight you can extend it with silver solder. after putting the solder on just file the sight to form it how you want. I've had to do this with fixed sights on black powder several times.