Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Cabela's Alaskan Guide Scopes--who make's 'em? >

Cabela's Alaskan Guide Scopes--who make's 'em?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Cabela's Alaskan Guide Scopes--who make's 'em?

Old 11-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cabela's Alaskan Guide Scopes--who make's 'em?

Does Cabela's have one of the big complanies making these scopes for them? Anybody have any experience with these?
Old 11-08-2004, 06:33 PM

Default RE: Cabela's Alaskan Guide Scopes--who make's 'em?

It varies from model to model, and even on the some model sometimes. Like say you want a 3x9x50 and they offer several different reticle choices. The duplex scope might be made by a different company than the one with the mildot reticle. I live near one and was asking them this at the store. They said they really don't have a clue, they listed some of the manufacturers they use and said it could be any of them, its hard to tell sometimes. Some of there stuff it is pretty obvious who makes it, and sometimes they will flat out tell you if they know. These guys said the scopes change so much they can't tell for sure. The best way is to look at other scopes until you find one that looks really close by a name brand company. Then it is probably made by that company, but maybe to different specs especially for Cabela's.

I can tell you that I own one of them and am very happy with it. It is a 6x24x42 AO model. I think I paid around 320-350 for it. It was comparable to other scopes in that range and even some of the 500 dollar ones. I put it on my 200 dollar savage 17HMR. I was mostly concerned with optics at higher powers and it was one of the best I looked at out of many until I got above the 500 dollar mark. 300 was extravigant for me, so 500 wasn't going to happen.

Plus they have an excellent return policy, so if you don't like it, just take it back. I went thru three scopes until I found the one I wanted. I would buy one then take it home and try it out on my gun. If I didn't like it I took it back and tried another one. I asked if they were getting sick of me coming back and they said no that is what they want me to do if that's what it takes to be happy with my purchase. I went from a $99 scope and worked my up to 300 some dollars before I found something I was happy with. So I guess they made out in the end.

I don't think you will be dissapointed if you get one. I think mine is a nikon, but I'm not sure. I forgot the companies he told me that made scopes for them.

Paul
Old 11-08-2004, 07:54 PM

Alaskan Guide . . . Japan . . . probably Hakko

Pine Ridge . . . Red China . . . probably VanguardUSA . . . also makes Winchester scopes.

All guesses . . . good as any . . .

Hey . . . the Alaskan Guide scopes are SUPER!

Cheapos are junk . . . like most Chinese stuff. You get what you pay for.

Get an All-American scope . . . including optics . . . Burris.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

From my expierence with them. (not to much) the Alaskan Guide scopes are good quality. UNBEATABLE . Warranty.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:33 AM

They are not made by any one manucturer, They have several that they purchase from. Most likely japan stuff though. The pine ridge stuff is pretty simular to buying a bushnell or simmons in the 50 to 80 dollar range. I wouldn't call them complete junk, but they aren't the best for sure. Of course with the warranty they have if you didn't like it you could get your money back or trade up.

Paul
Old 11-09-2004, 09:46 AM

Be careful in describing sources for Simmons or Bushnell. They are made in several countries. The Aetec and 44 MAG are made in the Phillipines. Others are made in Korea. The cheapos [Blazer] are made in Red China - as are BSA. Winchester scopes are distributed by VanguardUSA but made in Red China - NOT by BSA. MAY be better. Anyway - they give you a free box!!! Whoopee []

Alaskan Guide scopes are made in Japan. I suspect that they are made by LIGHT OPTICAL WORKS - a super company that makes - from what I have been told - WEAVER and others. The other possibility is HAKKO - another good company. I know they make TIKKA scopes and they market HAKKO scopes in Australia and other places.

Cabelas Pine Ridge scopes are made in Red China - I DID get that out of a very tight-lipped sales person. Frankly, I think it is STUPID to conceal sources. Leupold does that with their lenses. But, Cabelas does back up their scopes with a good warranty. I think you should buy something better! Waste of money in my opinion. I do own a Bushnell Trophy - made in Korea . . . works well . . . nicely finished . . . dang good buy!

OK . . . want a US scope? Buy a BURRIS . . . the only one that makes everything. Best warranty in the world . . . clearest lenses . . . better light transmission than most Leupolds. Besides that . . . they are made in Colorado . . . yahoo!
Old 11-09-2004, 10:11 AM
bigcountry

Burris, man are you crazy or what.[8D][8D] I had my last burris. Customer service blows. [:@] The scope has very little eye relief and not near what they claim. And any scope you have to set a screw to lock in the rectiles, you ought to be leary about.

Just got rid of my 6-20 signature, and it had like 21MOA verticle adjustment. And for me to get it mounted on my 300RUM to get the 8MOA I need to shoot 600yards, I had to buy those signature series rings, and screw around with them and a collimator for a few hours. Finally got it on the gun, and performed the Box test. You know where you shoot a group, raise the elevation up 6MOA and to the left 6MOA, and down 12MOA, then to the right 12MOA, so on and so on to see if number one it makes a perfect box, two, returns to zero. Well guess what it doesn't.

Heck, I thought it was just my scope. So I talked my buddy into getting a 30MM Black diamond to put on his tactical rifle that Cabelas had a clearance on. While adjusting, it moved 2MOA instead of .5MOA. Sent it back and they said they found and fixed the problem. Still wouldn't move elevation and windage smoothly. We both put them on ebay, and put the loopys back on. Even with them, little dissatisfyed. So now only bying the conquest.

So how do youkno they are clearer? Do you have a back reflection setup in your lab? Optical loss meter. I do. Or this personal opinion.

Old 11-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies

I was trying to narrow my choices for a variable scope that had a fairly WIDE range or power...like a 2-10 power or a 3-12 power...And as I looked around I saw the Cabela's Alaskan Guide scope line..They advertised it with the 3-12 compact model for $229.00 just didn't know if they were in the same class as the Leupolds and Nikons.......
Thanks again
Old 11-09-2004, 03:03 PM

Hi 8mm/06 . . . several good scopes out there . . . and you don't need advanced equipment to test them . . . just use the human eye . . . best instrument there is . . . something wrong if you can't tell the difference. ANYWAY . . . still would pick a Burris over almost anything. One scope that has not been mentioned is the WEAVER GRAND SLAM . . . and I have used them . . . super bright - high quality - made in Japan [Oh well!]. Made by Light Optical Works. Nothing wrong with Leupold either - but keep in mind they have a cult following. Leupold owners never look at anything else. Afraid they might find something just as good for less money! Sightron is good. Bushnell Elite 4200 and 3200 are good.

Your Alaskan Guide is good too - just be ready to be ragged over your choice. Cabelas is a fantastic company and will back your purchase. Very reputable company. So is Sightron . . . heck, if your Sightron is defective they just give you a new one!

The real me? I lean toward the Weaver Grand Slam. Burris second. Leupold third. Sightron fourth. But it is all a matter of subjective preference when you are looking at scopes in these price ranges.

Good luck on your purchase. I guess I am lucky, but I have NEVER been stung on a scope purchase. My old Weavers from El Paso were good - but not as bright as these new scopes - whatever the company.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:14 PM

Weaver makes a 4.5 - 14 and a 3 - 10 in the Grand Slam. They also give a portion of their sales of Grand Slams to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. Thinking that a Remington 700 RMEF with a Weaver Grand Slam would be doing ones best for RMEF . . .

Quick Reply: Cabela's Alaskan Guide Scopes--who make's 'em?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.