Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

slug gun

Old 03-05-2002, 08:58 PM

Default slug gun

I've got a Remington 870 Super Magnum which I am interested in using to hunt with slugs next year.I've priced out a rifled barrel at $250 or a rifled choke at $30. Is the difference in price reflective on the results I'll get, or is there just a minimal difference?
Old 03-05-2002, 11:34 PM

Default RE: slug gun

I have the same gun and just ordered a rifled slug barrel with the cantilever scope mount for 230. I think you can probably get the rifled barrel with rifle sights for about150. In my opinion the rifled barrel will give better accuracy but if all your shots are going to be50-75 yards either will do. At 100-125 which I think is about max, the rifled barrel will be better.
Old 03-06-2002, 06:54 AM

Why pay $250 for a rifled barrel when you can get a brand new Remington 870 for $255. I don't understand this kind of logic. You can get excellant accuracy out of the shot gun you have now by using an improved cylinder choke on it and shooting rifled slugs. I'm talking 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards. If you know how to shoot, you can get this type of accuracy.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:16 AM

BWR13,
In answer to your question, as others have stated you will have better down range results with a fully rifled barrel. So now it comes down to a money issue and how far you plan on taking shots. If you are looking at taking longer shots, 100 to 125 yards, rifled is the way to go. But if all your shots are going to be well under 100 yards than the rifle choke or IC will work fine. I know some others have had great success with smooth bores out to 100 yards but the rifling is the way to go 100+ yards with confidence.
You will be able to use the sabot copper slugs through the rifled barrel and rifled choke. A sabot through a smooth bore will be very erratic. I prefer the copper sabot slugs through my rifled slug gun. If you use the IC a fosters or brenneke slug will probably work better.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:30 PM

Thanks for all the great info everyone and keep it coming. I am also curious about brush deflection. Will a slug be more or less effected by shooting through the thicket?
Old 03-07-2002, 10:26 AM

What kind of range are you expecting from your slug gun? If you can live with less than 100 yard shots, then just add a B-Square scope mount and a Tasco World Class scope. to your existing setup. Use the improved cyl. choke and site in for 75 yards. Buy a box or 2 each of different brands of foster (non-sabot) style slugs and decide which one shoot the best with your gun. You can do this for about $100.

Shooting through brush is going to affect a slug just like anything else. How much I don't know. You won't be able to shoot through a briar patch and expect to hit what your aiming at if that's what you're asking. Are you hunting from a fixed position like a ground blind or tree stand? If so, you can create shooting lanes buy cutting out some of the brush and tree branches in the line of sight from your shooting position to where the deer trail is located.
My personal slug gun is a Rem 870 Wingmaster fitted as stated above, except mine is a modified barrel (no chokes). It likes to shoot the 2$ a box Winchester SuperX rifled slugs (2 3/4&quot.

---

Live - Urbana, IL
Hunt - Knox Co., IL
Old 03-07-2002, 10:35 AM
bigcountry

I got a rifled barrel for my 870 for 105 dollars two or so years ago. But if I had it do over, I would have paid the extra 80 to 90 dollars for the canelever barrel. Only makes sense. You buy a rifled barrel for extended accuracy past 100 yards but need a scope for it. Shooter Dan, as far as getting 2" groups at 100 yards with a rifled choke, seein is believin. You would the first I would ever see. We ought to meet so I can see someone get these groups without a scope or rifled barrel.

Old 03-07-2002, 11:23 AM

Hey guys, what's a "cantilever" barrel. I've heard the term, but don't know the definition. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2002, 12:19 PM

hk45usp,

A cantilever barrel is one that has a metal extention(the cantilever) attached to the rear of the barrel the extends over the receiver. This is specificly made for mounting a scope too that way the scope comes off with the barrel.