Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ive Got Bad Problems With My .300 WBY >

Ive Got Bad Problems With My .300 WBY

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ive Got Bad Problems With My .300 WBY

Old 10-24-2004, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ive Got Bad Problems With My .300 WBY

Alright guys I need to know if anyone has any problems like this. I have a brand new .300 wby vanguard deluxe with the wood stock. I just put a 3x9x40 zeiss conquest scope on it. Shooting weatherby loads in the 180grn nosler partition. I sighted it in at 100 and 200 yds, perfect on the money. That is as long as my range is so I didnt have the opportunity to shoot it any farther than that from the bench. I havent had the time to shoot it much since I sighted it in two or three weeks ago. So this weekend I was thinking I should go shoot my wby get a few rounds through it before I leave for colorado on wednesday to go elk hunting. Took my range finder and stepped back 100,200 and 300 yds.

OK Here is the problem.
100yds 2.5" high 1" groups
200yds 1.0" high 2" groups
300yds in the dirt at the base of the target I would say it is 26-28" low

I had just figured that it would be reasonably accurate at 300+ yds

I am shooting at a 4'x4' piece of plywood on the side of a hill, about chest level.

Went back to 100 perfect, 200 perfect, 300 dirt. I am pretty disgusted that it is shooting like this three days before I leave.

Here is wby's ballistic chart saying I should be pretty much on at 300 even dang close at 400.

[link]http://www.weatherby.com/ammo/ballistic_specifications.pdf[/link]

Anyone have this kind of problems with the nosler partitions like this? I think I may go buy a box of wby loaded 180grn spire/interlocks adn see how they shoot. I normally do a little better job at planning and shooting than this but I just havent had the time. My brother normally hand loads for me and I have never had problems like this.

Here is my forum when I was trying to find a load to shoot.
http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=769177
Old 10-24-2004, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ive Got Bad Problems With My .300 WBY

WOW!!!!! Stupid question but are you using the exact same rest and shooting position when shooting from the different distances? You already claim your range only goes to 200yds. Does this mean you are taking these 300 yd shots at another location using a different benchrest setup. Little things like a carrying sling catching the sand bags can drastically affect a shot. Also have you double checked mounting screws? I would definitely try another load before winging it into a lake!
Old 10-24-2004, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Even the 200 yard groups should impact higher.I would try to run the loads through a chronograph to determine what velocity that they are producing.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:00 PM
Fork Horn

My brother operates a range in west texas, the farthest he is set up for is 200 yds. When I have a new gun I always take it out to his range where we can lock it in a vise and get extremely accuate when sighting in. I sighted it in on a good concrete bench with leather sand bags and was driving tacks. I live in east texas and I have a long wide open right of way where I have atleast a 1000 yds that I could shoot down. I took my range finder adn marked off 100, 200 and 300 yds. I wanted to see how my rifle fared at 3,4,500 yards so next week I would know what to expect. I surely wasnt expecting what my outcome was. I shot off a picnic table with a chair used a 50 lb sack of feed along with three lead shot sand bags I have made to steady as a rest. Like I said I still drove tacks at 100 and 200 yds but when I went to 300 the bottom fell out.
My brother has always told me that some guns just wont shoot certain bullets and I think I have proof now. I am going to try the spire points tomorrow if i can find some and see if they will treat me any better.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

According to www.norma.cc if you are 2.5" at 100 yds, at 200 yds. you should be about 2.8", and at 300 yds. you should be about -1.3". With all due respect, are you sure you are not moving at 300 yds. ? Good luck.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

I promise Im not moving, I even had my father in law shoot it with the same results as I am having. I was shooting my backup rifle which is a sako .270 along with the .300 and I was still driving tacks with the .270 at 300
Old 10-25-2004, 08:42 AM
bigcountry

Texas, I believe you really saw this. But everytime I see something screwy like this, something usually happens to the gun. It is explainable. Has to be. Especially with those groups. Have you tried to repeat this experiment? If you repeat it. I don't know, maybe your barrel tolerance are not what is published. Maybe the bullet is coming unstable in flight. Or your barrel is loose bored and the bullet is tumbling. I doubt all these. But who knows.

Old 10-25-2004, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

This sounds to me like you are picking your head up to look at the target as soon as you pull the trigger.

If not hold at the top of the plywood,if your bullet is unstabel or tumbling it will show on impact.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:05 PM

OK Here is the problem.
100yds 2.5" high 1" groups
200yds 1.0" high 2" groups
300yds in the dirt at the base of the target I would say it is 26-28" low

I'm not familiar with the Conquest. Does it have an A.O.? Sounds like a wicked case of parallax. If there is no A.O., what range is scope set to be Parallax free? Did you move your head about while sighting at 300 yards to ensure there was no parallax? There could be a problem with your scope. 300 yards isn't anywhere close to a stretch for your .300. I'm assuming you checked your mounts and they are rock solid. You are getting repeatbility at 100 and 200 yards. Did you lap your rings? Did you torque the fasteners equally and not too tight? This is where an inch pound torque wrench comes in handy.

I would suggest;
Try another scope, or at least do a close evaluation of your Conquest.
Borrow a chrono
Buy your Brother a set of dies for this caliber. WBY ammo is expensive.
Next rifle, work all of this out a month or 2 earlier, before your hunting trip.;-)
Old 10-25-2004, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

As the owner of a .300 Wby Sako with a 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest atop it, this seems very odd to me. Like someone else mentioned, at 200 yards your bullets ought to impact even higher than they do at 100 yards. I suspect if you shot these over a chronograph you'd find they are not traveling anywhere near their published velocities. If not that, then I don't know what could be the problem. This just doesn't make sense. Wish I knew more about this stuff.

I don't shoot factory ammo any more, but when I did, the Weatherby ammo loaded with 180 gr. Hornady spire points was always very accurate for me. Give those a try and let us know what happens.

Quick Reply: Ive Got Bad Problems With My .300 WBY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.