Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hard Recoil/Sore Shoulder >

Hard Recoil/Sore Shoulder

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hard Recoil/Sore Shoulder

Old 10-29-2004, 02:41 PM

Default RE: Hard Recoil/Sore Shoulder

I just bought a Browning A-bolt .300 RUM. I haven't recieved it yet, but am having a gunsmith put on a Holland QD muzzle brake and a KickEZ recoil pad. Does anyone have any experience with these brakes. I know most guys seem not to like a brake. I wonder if you doubled up on hearing protection if there would still be a problem.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:39 PM

I would like to thank everyone for their input it's been one week now since I fired 20 rounds thru my rifle at the range and my shoulder is still black/blue/yellow. In another week my PAST shoulder pad will be here and that coupled with a custom fitted SVL limbsaver recoil pad installed I will try to zero my rifle in again. Nope not as young as when I qualified Expert with an M-14, M-16 in the Marine Corps but I did remember that we wore shooting jackets at the range. I do take blood thinners after bypass and I am not as young now but ain't it great not to be as stupid as when I was young. That's why I sought advice from experience like you guys.

Thanks
Russellville, AR
Old 10-29-2004, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a heavy tripod in the stand position when I zero something ornery. I zeroed from the prone in the USMC. Bench and prone positions are pretty unforgiving as far as recoil goes, and I can still get a good zero with a tripod. I've had a couple shoulder surgeries and I certify that they are not fun.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:28 AM

The latest issue of field & stream gave four ways to reduce felt recoil and the avg cost at the gunsmith ...check it out